|By PR Newswire||
|December 30, 2012 12:05 PM EST||
In Canada, program recognized by Prime Minister with volunteer award
CALGARY, Dec. 30, 2012 /PRNewswire/ - Results for the 14th year of the Canadian Pacific Holiday Train are in and the mission of making a difference one stop at a time has resulted in one of the most successful rolling fundraisers for local food shelves along its Canadian and United States rail network.
The 2012 CP Holiday Train Program raised more than $1 million (CAD) and 400,000 pounds of food for local food bank programs in Canada and the U.S. Since 1999, the CP Holiday Train program has now raised $7.4 million and 3 million pounds of food for local food shelves.
The 2012 Holiday Train Program officially wrapped up in Port Moody, British Columbia, on December 18, 2012.
Making this year's three-week trek even more important was the support for Hurricane Sandy rebuilding efforts. At the Minneapolis, Holiday Train event, CP presented Feeding America with $250,000.
In Canada, the Holiday Train program received special recognition with one of the inaugural Prime Minister's Volunteer Awards. The award recognizes the role the 'train of lights' plays in helping communities and food banks and, specifically, the hard work and dedication of thousands of community and employee volunteers who continue to make the annual rolling food bank fundraiser a success.
From the end of November until December 18, the two Holiday Trains travelled across Canada and the U.S. raising money, food, and awareness for local food banks and hunger issues at over 150 communities.
Thousands of Holiday Train supporters were treated to live performances on the modified boxcar stage. On the Canadian Holiday Train, Brothers Dube, Miss Emily, and Doc Walker lit up the stage while on the U.S. Holiday Train, Tracey Brown and The Claytones entertained supporters of local food shelves along the U.S. Northeast and Midwest.
SOURCE Canadian Pacific
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher