|By PR Newswire||
|December 30, 2012 12:02 AM EST||
WASHINGTON, Dec. 30, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Following is the daily "Profile America" feature from the U.S. Census Bureau:
SUNDAY, DECEMBER 30: 2012 ANNIVERSARIES
Profile America — Sunday, December 30th. Before closing the book on this eventful year, it's worth noting some of the anniversaries of 2012. Two-hundred years ago, tensions between the U.S. and Britain boiled over into the War of 1812, which basically ended in a stalemate. One-hundred years ago, the National Biscuit Company introduced the long-running favorite, Oreos. Fifty years ago, the U.S. faced down the Soviet Union as the Cuban Missile Crisis brought the world close to nuclear war. A century ago, the average life expectancy was 56 years for a baby girl and 52 years for a boy. Now, those figures are 81 years for girls and 76 for boys. You can find more facts about America from the U.S. Census Bureau, online at www.census.gov.
Sources: Chase's Calendar of Events 2012, "Spotlight on the Past"
Historical Statistics of the United States: Colonial Times to 1970, p. 5
Statistical Abstract of the United States 2012, t. 104
Profile America is produced by the Center for New Media and Promotions of the U.S. Census Bureau. These daily features are available as produced segments, ready to air, on a monthly CD or on the Internet at http://www.census.gov (look for "Multimedia Gallery" by the "Newsroom" button).
SOURCE U.S. Census Bureau
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks