|By Business Wire||
|December 29, 2012 06:00 AM EST||
Usain Bolt, Jessica Ennis and the Spain men's football side have been voted fans’ choice in Eurosport's Athlete of the Year 2012 poll, run in association with the AIPS (International Sports Press Association).
Over 60,000 votes were cast by sports fans around the world in the Eurosport poll, which was hosted on the broadcaster’s Facebook page, to select the best male, female and team competitors of the year.
In an Olympic year, it is no surprise to see London 2012 athletes prominent at the top of the poll. The Games, which were broadcast live on Eurosport, are clearly still fresh in the memory of sports fans. Usain Bolt secured an incredible three gold medals in London, a repeat of his Beijing 2008 performance. The Jamaican dominated the men's category of the poll, receiving 40.81% of votes ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo (16.71%) and Yannick Agnel (9.53%).
British heroine Jessica Ennis, winner of heptathlon gold in her home Olympics, scored 38.21% in the women's category, edging out Serena Williams (30.61%) and Marit Bjoergen (10.73%).
An outstanding Spain side clinched their third consecutive international men's football trophy at UEFA EURO 2012, also broadcast on Eurosport. They won 42.34% of the team vote while the USA men's basketball side took 14.22% and FC Barcelona 13.91%.
"2012 has been a fantastic year for sport and we are proud Eurosport has broadcast and reported on so many major events to offer fans the greatest coverage possible. Athletes such as Bolt, Ennis and the Spanish footballers have had an exceptional year even by their own high standards and this is reflected by their success in the public and expert vote. We look forward to seeing them in action on Eurosport in 2013.” said Eurosport spokesperson Heather Bowler, Global Communications Director.
As part of its developing relationship with the AIPS, 2012 marks the first time Eurosport has joined the Athlete of the Year initiative. This year, the Eurosport poll allowed fans to add their voice to that of the international sports media professionals of the AIPS, who voted for Usain Bolt, Serena Williams and Spain (football) in their annual poll.
Eurosport is Europe's n°1 sports entertainment group, boasting seven TV channels and an international network of 15 websites in 11 languages.
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks