|By PR Newswire||
|December 28, 2012 05:27 PM EST||
HARTFORD, Conn., Dec. 28, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- A representative of the Connecticut chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR-CT) today joined members from Al Hedaya Islamic Center and other representatives of the interfaith community in Newtown, Conn., to mark the two-week anniversary of the tragic events at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
Several dozen people gathered to remember the victims of the senseless shootings and to offer spiritual support to the loved ones of those who died.
SEE: Newtown Vigil Marks Two Weeks Since Shootings
"We hope the many prayers by those of different faiths will offer the spiritual support needed to place our community on the path to healing," said CAIR-CT representative Mongi Dhaouadi. "Al Hedaya Islamic Center has been playing an important role in Newtown by connecting Muslims in the area with the healing process."
Since the attack on the school, CAIR has been in contact with the Muslim community in Newtown to provide support and to help the community to cope with the aftermath.
Two days after the shootings, Al Hedaya Islamic Center participated in a prayer vigil with families of the victims and survivors that was attended by President Obama.
During this event, Al Hedaya representatives recited verses from the Quran, Islam's revealed text, and read a statement asking God "to grant those lost a special place in paradise and we ask their families to be granted the strength to endure the unendurable."
SEE: Video: Statement of Muslim Community at Newtown, Conn., Interfaith Service with President Obama
CAIR is America's largest Muslim civil liberties and advocacy organization. Its mission is to enhance the understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.
Become a Fan of CAIR on Facebook
Subscribe to CAIR's E-Mail List
Follow CAIR on Twitter
Subscribe to CAIR's YouTube Channel
CONTACT: Mongi Dhaouadi, CAIR-CT, 860-514-8038, firstname.lastname@example.org; CAIR National Communications Director Ibrahim Hooper, 202-744-7726, E-Mail: email@example.com; CAIR Communications Manager Amina Rubin, 202-341-4171, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
SOURCE Council on American-Islamic Relations
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks