|By Marketwired .||
|December 27, 2012 05:19 PM EST||
OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 12/27/12 -- Today, Nova Scotia's Department of Justice announced Major-General Blaise Cathcart, Judge Advocate General of the Canadian Armed Forces, as one of the Province's 2012 Queen's Counsel appointees.
The National Defence Act creates the position of Judge Advocate General. The Act also establishes that the Judge Advocate General superintends the administration of military justice in the Canadian Armed Forces and acts as legal advisor in matters relating to military law.
"The Queen's Counsel designation is achieved through exceptional merit and contribution to the legal profession," said the Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence. "This prestigious appointment is a testament to Major-General Cathcart's professionalism, leadership, and devotion not only to the Canadian Armed Forces but to his home community."
Queen's Counsel appointments are a way to recognize the contribution of outstanding Nova Scotia lawyers who must, as a minimum, have 15 years in good standing as a member of the Bar Society of Nova Scotia, have made strong personal contributions to their communities and to the legal professions, and who must have also received the respect of their peers.
"An appointment to the Queen's Counsel holds both modern and historical significance," said General Tom Lawson, Chief of the Defence Staff. "This designation recognizes Major-General Cathcart's outstanding legal career, his dedication to the legal profession and his commitment to the Canadian Armed Forces."
Queen's Counsel applications are reviewed by an advisory committee, chaired by a judge and composed of other lawyers with the Queen's Counsel designation.
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher