|By PR Newswire||
|December 27, 2012 12:01 AM EST||
WASHINGTON, Dec. 27, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Following is the daily "Profile America" feature from the U.S. Census Bureau:
THURSDAY, DECEMBER 27: COLD WEATHER MISERIES
Profile America — Thursday, December 27th. The holidays are mostly a time of bustling good cheer — but they are also a time for winter's most frequent misery — the common cold, and the cough that often goes along with it. More than a century ago, a restaurant owner in Poughkeepsie, New York, did something to make life a little easier for cold sufferers. James Smith cooked up the first batch of cough drops in 1847, in two flavors still popular today — cherry and licorice. There are close to 48,000 pharmacies and drug stores across the U.S. Selling over-the-counter cold remedies is part of their annual sales of more than $202 billion. You can find current data on the country's economy by downloading the new "America's Economy" mobile application at www.census.gov/mobile.
Sources: 2007 Economic Census, NAICS 446110
Profile America is produced by the Center for New Media and Promotions of the U.S. Census Bureau. These daily features are available as produced segments, ready to air, on a monthly CD or on the Internet at http://www.census.gov (look for "Multimedia Gallery" by the "Newsroom" button).
SOURCE U.S. Census Bureau
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks