|By Marketwired .||
|December 26, 2012 02:45 PM EST||
CLEVELAND, OH -- (Marketwire) -- 12/26/12 -- Public libraries utilizing OverDrive's Next Generation digital lending platform served a record number of eBook, audiobook, music and video titles to patrons on Christmas Day. The most dramatic growth occurred among users of iPad, Kindle Fire and Android devices. With One-Step Checkout and powerful, filtered search, the Next Generation library websites are optimized for both PC and mobile users, which helped pilot libraries circulate record single-day numbers of eBooks, audiobooks, music and video. Among the libraries setting all-time eBook circulation records yesterday were Cuyahoga County Public Library (Ohio), Pioneer Library System (Okla.), Hennepin County Library (Minn.), and Mid-Continent Public Library (Mo.).
"Mobile users account for as much as two-thirds of all traffic at Next Generation pilot libraries, and they're generating record traffic," said OverDrive CEO Steve Potash. "This surge in mobile usage, combined with the industry's largest digital catalog -- including a record amount of bestselling content added in 2012 -- results in more readers engaging with more titles than ever before."
Minnesota's Hennepin County Library saw record-breaking checkouts on Dec. 25; for more circulation data from Next Generation libraries, click here.
At the American Library Association Midwinter Meeting (Washington State Convention Center, Booth 1115) in Seattle, Jan. 25 to 28, OverDrive will share additional data and trends with library partners and demonstrate additional Next Generation services for 2013, including new APIs as well as streaming audiobook, music and video services.
OverDrive will roll out Next Generation services for all library partners through the first quarter of 2013. The Next Generation websites streamline the digital library experience with One-Step Checkout, a powerful search engine, and the new HTML-powered, browser-based eBook-reading technology OverDrive Read. OverDrive offers a catalog of more than 800,000 eBooks and audiobooks with support for all major computers and devices, including iPhone®, iPad®, Nook®, Android phones and tablets, and Kindle® (U.S. only). To find a library near you, visit search.overdrive.com.
OverDrive is a leading multichannel digital distributor of eBooks, digital audiobooks, music and video. We supply a secure lending platform for 19,000 libraries, schools and retailers worldwide with support for all major computers and devices, including iPhone®, iPad®, Nook®, Android phones and tablets, and Kindle® (U.S. only). OverDrive has been named to the EContent 100 as a company that matters most in the digital content industry and is a member of the 2012 Technology Fast 500. Founded in 1986, OverDrive is based in Cleveland. www.overdrive.com
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2190015
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks
- MAX 2006: Tracks Announced
- BT's "Fixed-Mobile" Phone Gives Callers the Best of Both Worlds
- MetaSolv to Host Provisioning Symposium in London