|By Marketwired .||
|December 26, 2012 12:39 PM EST||
BANFF, ALBERTA -- (Marketwire) -- 12/26/12 --
Editors Note: A photo is associated with this press release.
Sunshine Village Ski and Snowboard Resort unveiled the earliest opening of the Wild West freeride zone today. Abundant snowfall throughout the early season has provided ideal conditions to open the extreme terrain.
A solid snow pack sitting at 135 cm (53 in) has provided pristine skiing and riding conditions throughout the mountain. With nearly 400 cm (158 in) of snow falling on Sunshine so far this season, the resort is poised for an epic entry into 2013.
"The Wild West is an exceptional experience for expert skiers and riders," begins Dave Riley, Chief Operating Officer for Sunshine Village Ski and Snowboard Resort. "Through the dedicated work of both our ski patrol and snow safety teams, we are excited to unveil the earliest opening of the Wild West big mountain terrain."
The Wild West features some of the most extreme in-bounds terrain available in North America. Located on Goat's Eye Mountain, the Wild West can be seen as you near the mid-point of the gondola.
Like Delirium Dive, the Wild West is recognized globally for its steep terrain. It features three major rock-walled couloirs, steep crevices, and a series of cliffs - some reaching more than 30 metres.
Features of the Wild West were named after many of Banff National Park's pioneers, providing a glimpse into the region's colourful history. They include "Wild" Bill Peyto, a trapper and one of Banff's first wardens; Norman "Mr. Banff" Luxton, an early publisher of the Crag and Canyon newspaper; and Bruno Engler, an explorer and renowned photographer.
In all of Sunshine's freeride zones, skiers and boarders must use good judgment: they should know their skill level, and understand that mountain conditions may change quickly. Entry is only permitted for those with an avalanche shovel, probe, transceiver and partner.
Openings of the Wild West are always subject to weather conditions. For current information on both the Wild West and Delirium Dive freeride zones, daily recorded updates are available by calling the snow phone (403-277-7669).
Sunshine Village Ski and Snowboard Resort
Sunshine Village, close to the town of Banff, provides skiers and boarders with 12 lifts, including seven modern high speed quad chairs, the most in the Canadian Rockies, and one of the world's fastest 8 passenger gondolas. Stay slope-side in the Rockies only "ski-in ski-out" hotel and ski or ride 3,300 acres and three mountains in the provinces of Alberta and British Columbia along the Continental Divide during Canada's longest season from November to late May. For more information, visit www.skibanff.com.
To view the photo associated with this press release, please visit the following link: http://www.marketwire.com/library/20121226-Sean-Hannah-wild_west.jpg.
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks
- MAX 2006: Tracks Announced
- BT's "Fixed-Mobile" Phone Gives Callers the Best of Both Worlds
- MetaSolv to Host Provisioning Symposium in London