|By PR Newswire||
|December 26, 2012 12:01 AM EST||
WASHINGTON, Dec. 26, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Following is the daily "Profile America" feature from the U.S. Census Bureau:
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 26: SKIING
Profile America — Wednesday, December 26th. Many avid skiers are headed to the slopes these days, anxious to try out the new equipment and colorful hats, gloves, and jackets they received for Christmas. It's the height of the skiing season, and the lodges and ski lifts at resorts are getting crowded. Skiing was introduced to America in the 1840s and '50s by Norwegians and Swedes, who came to the U.S. as part of the Gold Rush. The first winter Olympics were held in 1924. Today, snow means fun and excitement for millions of fans of downhill and cross-country skiing, as well as snowboarding. There are close to 400 ski facilities across the U.S., and those who enjoy them spend $2.2 billion during their days of fun each year. Profile America is in its 16th year as a public service of the U.S. Census Bureau.
Sources: 2007 Economic Census, NAICS 713920
Profile America is produced by the Center for New Media and Promotions of the U.S. Census Bureau. These daily features are available as produced segments, ready to air, on a monthly CD or on the Internet at http://www.census.gov (look for "Multimedia Gallery" by the "Newsroom" button).
SOURCE U.S. Census Bureau
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher