|By PR Newswire||
|December 23, 2012 12:01 AM EST||
WASHINGTON, Dec. 23, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Following is the daily "Profile America" feature from the U.S. Census Bureau:
SUNDAY, DECEMBER 23: THE FEDERAL RESERVE
Profile America — Sunday, December 23rd. An organization that has been in the news a lot this year, and which has come in for its share of criticism during the nation's current fiscal problems, observes the 99th anniversary of its founding today. The Federal Reserve System, known simply as "the Fed," came into being on this day in 1913, with the job of keeping the nation's complex financial system in tune. Acting as the nation's central bank, "the Fed" influences the lending and investing activities of all banks, along with the availability of money and credit. There are more than 91,000 commercial banks in the U.S., with profits of over $600 billion a year. You can find current data on the country's economy by downloading the new "America's Economy" mobile application at www.census.gov/mobile.
Sources: Chase's Calendar of Events 2012, p. 598
2007 Economic Census, NAICS 52211
Profile America is produced by the Center for New Media and Promotions of the U.S. Census Bureau. These daily features are available as produced segments, ready to air, on a monthly CD or on the Internet at http://www.census.gov (look for "Multimedia Gallery" by the "Newsroom" button).
SOURCE U.S. Census Bureau
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher