|By Business Wire||
|December 21, 2012 08:11 PM EST||
This afternoon, Dr. Leroy Hood was awarded the National Medal of Science in recognition of his visionary work in science and engineering.
Dr. Leroy Hood is the recipient of a 2012 National Medal of Science. (Photo: Business Wire)
Dr. Hood is a world-renowned scientist, inventor, entrepreneur and visionary. His discoveries have permanently changed the course of biology and revolutionized the understanding of genetics, life, and human health. Dr. Hood developed automated technologies for analyzing proteins and genes that enabled the mapping of the human genome and revolutionized the field of genomics. He is a pioneer in the field of systems biology and has spent his career advancing an interdisciplinary, systems approach to biological research and clinical medicine.
Dr. Hood is being honored for his significant body of work in the study of molecular immunology, biotechnology and genomics. Dr. Hood is a pioneer of the systems approach to biology and medicine that focuses on innovation in health, wellness and disease prevention through P4 (predictive, preventive, personalized and participatory) Medicine. His work in this area is contributing to the emergence of a healthcare system that will deliver more effective clinical care at a lower cost.
“I am deeply honored to receive a National Medal of Science, and am profoundly grateful to the many fantastic colleagues and partners with whom I have worked throughout the years. Transforming human health is my life’s work and I am proud of all we have accomplished.”
– Dr. Leroy Hood
The National Medal of Science is one of the highest honors bestowed by the United States Government upon scientists, engineers and inventors. Dr. Hood is one of 12 honorees for 2012, and will receive the award at a White House ceremony in early 2013. Dr. Hood is the fifth historical recipient from Washington State, and the first in nearly two decades.
Dr. Hood’s bio: https://www.systemsbiology.org/leroy-hood
In 2000, Dr. Hood co-founded the Institute for Systems Biology, a premier nonprofit research organization based in Seattle, Washington. About the Institute for Systems Biology: https://www.systemsbiology.org/about-isb
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher