|By PR Newswire||
|December 21, 2012 03:09 PM EST||
HARRISBURG, Pa., Dec. 21, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Governor Tom Corbett, along with First Lady Susan Corbett, today delivered hundreds of Christmas cards to service members and veterans at the Lebanon VA Medical Center.
The cards, part of the American Red Cross "Holiday Mail for Heroes" program, were signed by people who visited the Governor's Residence in Harrisburg during recent holiday tours.
"These men and women served their country with honor. At this time of the year it is especially important to recognize their service and sacrifice," Corbett said. "Susan and I are grateful for our veterans and are happy that we can deliver some holiday cheer a few days before Christmas."
Almost 1,000 holiday cards provided by the American Red Cross were signed during the holiday tours at the Governor's Residence. Many of the cards were sent to men and women serving overseas.
The "Holiday Mail for Heroes" program collects cards filled with messages of gratitude, encouragement, and holiday greetings from the American public for members of the U.S. Armed Forces.
Red Cross volunteers screen, sort, and distribute the cards to American military personnel and their families, as well as veterans, in hospitals and on military installations around the world.
"Military deployments, distance, and hospital stays mean many service members and veterans will be separated from their families this holiday season," Ben Atwater, of the American Red Cross said. "We are grateful to have the support of Governor and Mrs. Corbett who have shown a commitment to this program and are personally visiting our veterans before the holiday."
The Lebanon VA Medical Center serves veterans in nine counties, including those who served in World War II through the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. It includes in-patient and out-patient care, a rehabilitation center, specialized women's healthcare, behavioral health programs and hospice care.
Media contact: Kirsten Page, Governor's Office; 717-783-1116
SOURCE Pennsylvania Office of the Governor
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher