|By PR Newswire||
|December 17, 2012 08:44 AM EST||
TUCSON, Ariz., Dec. 17, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The U.S. Navy awarded Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) a $108 million contract for continued production of Standard Missile-2 all-up rounds, a majority of which will be sold to U.S. allies through foreign military sales. This award brings the total fiscal year 2011 contract value to more than $200 million.
"The U.S. Navy has committed to supporting SM-2 past 2035, and this contract award reflects our international partners' desire to maintain this key defensive asset in their inventories," said Michael Campisi, Raytheon Missile Systems' senior director for SM-2 and SM-6 production. "The SM-2 production line is open for all our allies' requirements, and there will be full mission support available throughout the lifecycle of this critical asset."
SM-2 is deployed by the U.S. and eight allied navies. The missile provides high- and low-altitude intercept capabilities and performance against advanced anti-ship missile threats.
"SM-2 has been the primary surface-to-air fleet-air defense weapon of choice for decades," said Campisi. "It's an extremely effective, relevant weapon that will continue to protect navies around the globe for many years to come."
About Standard Missile-2
SM-2 is the world's premier fleet-area air defense weapon, providing protection from a wide range of advanced threats.
- SM-2 has been integrated with both Aegis and non-Aegis combat weapon systems.
- The missile can be launched from the MK-41, MK-13 and MK-26 launchers.
- SM-2 has an extensive flight test history of more than 2,500 successful flight tests.
Raytheon Company, with 2011 sales of $25 billion and 71,000 employees worldwide, is a technology and innovation leader specializing in defense, homeland security and other government markets throughout the world. With a history of innovation spanning 90 years, Raytheon provides state-of-the-art electronics, mission systems integration and other capabilities in the areas of sensing; effects; and command, control, communications and intelligence systems, as well as a broad range of mission support services. Raytheon is headquartered in Waltham, Mass. For more about Raytheon, visit us at www.raytheon.com and follow us on Twitter @raytheon.
SOURCE Raytheon Company
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks