|By PR Newswire||
|December 17, 2012 12:01 AM EST||
WASHINGTON, Dec. 17, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Following is the daily "Profile America" feature from the U.S. Census Bureau:
MONDAY, DECEMBER 17: FIRST FLIGHT
Profile America — Monday, December 17th. A dream of the ages became reality 109 years ago today, on a windswept sand dune at North Carolina's Outer Banks, as the Wright brothers made the world's first powered flight. With Orville and Wilbur alternating as pilot, the plane made four flights that day. The longest distance covered was 852 feet in 59 seconds — an average speed of 31 miles an hour. In only a few years, the airplane became an important part of America's economy and defense, as well as a form of transportation relied upon by an increasing number of people. Now, there are 265 aircraft manufacturers in the U.S., making and rebuilding planes worth just over $90 billion year. Profile America is in its 16th year as a public service of the U.S. Census Bureau.
Sources: Chase's Calendar of Events 2012, p. 592
2007 Economic Census, NAICS 336411
Profile America is produced by the Center for New Media and Promotions of the U.S. Census Bureau. These daily features are available as produced segments, ready to air, on a monthly CD or on the Internet at http://www.census.gov (look for "Multimedia Gallery" by the "Newsroom" button).
SOURCE U.S. Census Bureau
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher