|By PR Newswire||
|December 16, 2012 07:27 PM EST||
- Team Howard defeats Team Jacobs 3-1 in exciting final, caps off
perfect 8-0 tournament record -
- $100,000 purse awarded to Team Howard, becomes eligible to split $100,000 bonus awarded to the top three men's teams from the 2012-13 Grand Slam of Curling season -
KELOWNA, BC, Dec. 16, 2012 /CNW/ - After a hard-fought battle that began with 18 of the world's best curling teams, Coldwater, ON's Team Howard has been crowned champion of the Grand Slam of Curling's second event of the 2012-13 season, The Canadian Open. Team Howard was awarded their trophy and prize money this afternoon at Kelowna, B.C.'s Prospera Place.
Team Howard beat out Sault Ste. Marie, ON's Team Jacobs in a tight 3-1 final, ending the event with a perfect 8-0 record.
"It was nice to get back to playing well after a slow start to the Slam series," said skip Glenn Howard. "After missing the playoffs at The Masters it feels great to bounce back and get the major win here in Kelowna. We are looking forward to The National in Port Hawkesbury in the New Year."
In addition to The Canadian Open $100,000 purse, Team Howard - as well as The Rogers Masters winner Team Koe - are now eligible to split an additional $100,000 purse as one of the top three men's teams competing in the 2012-13 Grand Slam of Curling season.
Owned and operated by Sportsnet, the Grand Slam of Curling is an elite series of men's and women's curling events which are part of the World Curling Tour and feature the best teams from across Canada and around the world. The 2012-13 series is comprised of four events, The Rogers Masters in Brantford, ON (November 14-18, 2012), The Canadian Open in Kelowna, B.C. (December 12-16, 2012), The National in Port Hawkesbury, N.S. (January 23-27, 2013), and The Players' Championship in Toronto (April 16-21, 2013).
All of Sportsnet's curling talent are available for interviews to discuss The Canadian Open.
Sportsnet connects Canadian sports fans to their favourite teams and athletes, using five platforms: TV, Radio, Print, Online and Mobile. Sportsnet is Fuelled By Fans, and delivers storytelling on a local, regional, national and global level. The multiplatform brand consists of Sportsnet, sportsnet.ca, Sportsnet 590 The FAN, Sportsnet 960 The FAN, Sportsnet magazine, Sportsnet Mobile and the Hockey Central app on iPad and Playbook. Sportsnet is the Canadian leader in NHL and MLB television broadcasts and is home to 162 Toronto Blue Jays games, plus MLB Playoffs and the World Series. Sportsnet is an official broadcaster of the London 2012 Olympic Games, and also offers an exciting sports lineup including the NFL, the Rogers Cup tennis tournament, the Memorial Cup, and soccer programming with UEFA Champions League, Barclays Premier League, MLS Vancouver Whitecaps FC, and Canadian national team matches for men and women. Sportsnet Connected is the network's nightly news program, providing regional and national coverage of the day's events in the world of sports.
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks