|By PR Newswire||
|December 16, 2012 04:21 PM EST||
SANDUSKY, Ohio, Dec. 16, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Santa Claus and his elves took a break from their North Pole duties Sunday to get some exercise and catch a sneak peek of one of the amusement industry's biggest new toys— the GateKeeper roller coaster at Cedar Point!
Nearly 2,000 jolly St. Nicks, young and old, swarmed through the greatest collection of rides and roller coasters on the planet during the park's first-ever Santa Hustle Half Marathon & 5K. They trotted past GateKeeper, the soon-to-be 4,164-foot long coaster snaking its way from Cedar Point's beach to the main entrance, and stopped to enjoy cookies from volunteer elves.
Finishing first in the half marathon was Brian Kaminski, with a time of 1 hour, 20 minutes and 10 seconds, and Julia Viel, who ran an impressive 1:25:15. Sean Kane finished first in the 5K with a time of 17 minutes and 37 seconds, and Joanna Johnson was the first female finisher with a time of 19 minutes.
The Santa Hustle Half Marathon & 5K started in Chicago in 2009 and has become one of the fastest-growing races in the country, said race coordinator Lauren Stromberg of Adrenaline Sports Management.
"Whether they are serious competitors or just here to have fun, this is one race runners and their families look forward to every year," Stromberg said. "There are 40-foot inflatables, live reindeer and a fun-filled after-party— what's not to love?"
The race started and ended at Cedar Point's Castaway Bay indoor waterpark and resort, which is now open daily through the holidays.
"The runners had a chance to see all of their favorite rides, attractions and the Cedar Point Beach in a different light," Cedar Point marketing manager Bryan Edwards said. "It also gave them an exclusive first look of GateKeeper months before we open this mammoth coaster to the public in May."
To view photos from Cedar Point's first Santa Hustle, click the following link: https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B-9i7EuXAj8bZTRMc3REcFozb1E/edit. To download HD video of the event, visit https://www.dropbox.com/s/5iy6mqhaha6p3gz/Santa%20Hustle.mov .
Cedar Point will open for its 144th season on May 11, 2013, with its new wing roller coaster, GateKeeper. For more information, log on to www.cedarpoint.com. Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and check out our YouTube channel.
SOURCE Cedar Point
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks
- MAX 2006: Tracks Announced
- BT's "Fixed-Mobile" Phone Gives Callers the Best of Both Worlds
- MetaSolv to Host Provisioning Symposium in London