|By PR Newswire||
|December 14, 2012 09:00 PM EST||
SAN DIEGO, Dec. 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- We are deeply saddened by today's school shooting tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut. Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims their families, and the entire Sandy Hook Elementary School community.
An incident like this is a painful reminder that no one is immune from challenging problems that, if left untreated, can lead to mental health issues or mental illness. According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, one in four adults—approximately 57.7 million Americans—experiences a mental health disorder in a given year and fewer than one-third of adults with a diagnosable mental disorder receive mental health services in a given year.
The California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists urges people to seek help immediately if they or someone they know is struggling with mental health issues. Help is available. CounselingCalifornia.com offers a free resource where Californians can find a therapist in their area or learn more about dealing with a variety of issues including hopelessness and grief and anger management, among many other serious topics.
For those having difficulty coping with sadness, grief and loss due to this unspeakable tragedy or struggling with how to talk to your children about it, you may want to speak with a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist.
 U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Mental Health: A Report of the Surgeon General. Rockville, Md., U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Center for Mental Health Services, 1999, pp. 408409, 411.
SOURCE California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks
- MAX 2006: Tracks Announced
- BT's "Fixed-Mobile" Phone Gives Callers the Best of Both Worlds
- MetaSolv to Host Provisioning Symposium in London