|By PR Newswire||
|December 14, 2012 03:21 PM EST||
GILBERT, Ariz., Dec. 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center on the Banner Gateway campus will break ground in January 2013 on an expansion of its outpatient cancer facility, offering a new service and additional equipment and treatment areas to meet the needs of its rapidly growing patient population.
The 111,000-square-foot expansion will take place to the south of the existing 130,000-square-foot building and will add:
- Three linear accelerators (two at opening and one vault for future use) for a future total of six, used for external beam and internal radiation treatments
- 30 additional clinic exam rooms for a total of 60 rooms
- 13 additional infusion bays for a total of 53
- Expansion of Laboratory Intake Center and Welcome Center
- The Cox Center for Integrative Oncology and Cancer Prevention, funded in large part by a grant from the James M. Cox Family Foundation
- Dedicated space for the Stem Cell Transplantation and Cellular Therapy program
- Additional shell space for future expansion needs
"We're proud to be living our vision of providing premier cancer services in the Valley," said Todd Werner, CEO of Banner MD Anderson. "Our patients deserve nothing less than the best care and treatment options available."
Banner MD Anderson will break ground on the $62.6 million expansion project on Jan. 22. The newly added area will open in spring 2014.
"We're excited that we can expand our facilities and in turn, serve more people," said Maggie Row, vice president of clinical operations for MD Anderson Cancer Network. "We look forward to enhancing our services in partnership with Banner Health and continuing to elevate the quality of care available in Arizona."
Since opening in 2011, the cancer center has experienced rapid growth in outpatient volume. The center's model of multi-disciplinary care, coupled with its relationship with The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, has attracted more than 5,000 patients and resulted in 50,000 patient visits since opening. In addition, more than 50 subspecialty physicians are now providing cancer care to patients in need.
The new Cox Center for Integrative Oncology and Cancer Prevention will incorporate traditional cancer treatments with evidence-based integrative therapies, such as relaxation techniques to aid in pain and/or stress management. The center will include individualized prevention, screening and diagnosis programs, rehabilitation and community outreach programs, and will also be an invaluable community resource for cancer prevention education.
Project architects are HKS, Inc. and the general contractor is DPR Construction.
About Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center
The Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center on the Banner Gateway Campus delivers an unprecedented level of cancer care to patients in Arizona through the collaboration of Banner Health and The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, the internationally renowned cancer treatment and research institution. Banner MD Anderson offers focused, disease-specific experts in the medical, radiation and surgical treatment of cancer; an evidence-based, team approach to patient care; access to clinical trials and new investigative therapies, state-of-the-art technology for the diagnosis, staging and treatment of all types of cancer; and oncology expertise in supportive care services (i.e. nutrition, genetic counseling, palliative care, pain control and much more.)
About MD Anderson
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston ranks as one of the world's most respected centers focused on cancer patient care, research, education and prevention. MD Anderson is one of only 41 comprehensive cancer centers designated by the National Cancer Institute. For nine of the past 11 years, including 2012, MD Anderson has ranked No. 1 in cancer care in the "Best Hospitals" survey published annually in U.S. News & World Report.
SOURCE Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher