|By Marketwire .||
|December 14, 2012 12:48 PM EST||
OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 12/14/12 -- Her Majesty's Canadian Submarine (HMCS) Windsor returned to sea yesterday at Halifax, N.S., officially marking the completion of a deep maintenance cycle known as an Extended Docking Work Period.
"HMCS Windsor's return to sea is a key milestone and her crew now embarks on another challenging journey as they focus on operations at sea," said The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence. "I commend the outstanding efforts of Windsor's crew, our Fleet Maintenance Facilities and of industry that have brought us to this point."
"Over the next few months, Windsor will conduct additional crew training and trials on her path to high readiness," said Vice-Admiral Paul Maddison, Commander Royal Canadian Navy. "This milestone builds on the achievements of HMCS Victoria and is another important step towards the Victoria-class Submarine Fleet achieving steady state."
With the completion of the Extended Docking Work Period, HMCS Windsor will now conduct a series of sea trials, crew training and certifications to prepare for future operations, a process known as the Tiered Readiness Program. HMCS Windsor's Tiered Readiness Program will closely resemble the one conducted by HMCS Victoria, the first Victoria-class Submarine to become operational and weapons certified to fire MK 48 Heavyweight Torpedoes.
The Victoria-class Submarine Fleet continues to progress towards steady state when three of four submarines will be available for operations. This will include a high readiness submarine available on both the Atlantic and Pacific coasts, HMCS Windsor and HMCS Victoria respectively, with a third submarine, HMCS Chicoutimi, available at standard readiness. HMCS Corner Brook will rotate into an Extended Docking Work Period in 2013. An Extended Docking Work Period provides the submarines' 200-plus systems with the maintenance and upgrades needed to conduct operations on behalf of Canadians.
Note to the Editor / News Director:
For more information on the status of the Victoria-class Submarine Fleet, please visit our online fact sheet at: http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-nouvelles/news-nouvelles-eng.asp?id=3979
To view the "HMCS Victoria - A Long Beginning" video, please visit our page on Vimeo at: http://vimeo.com/54048119
Information: 1-866-377-0811 / (613) 996-2353
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks