|By PR Newswire||
|December 14, 2012 12:01 AM EST||
DEARBORN, Mich., Dec. 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- Ford brings an all-new compact Transit Connect commercial van to market, ideally suited to small business owners and fleets placing high value on fuel efficiency
- Transit Connect Van is expected to deliver at least 5 mpg better fuel economy on the highway than Ram C/V Cargo Van while carrying more payload than a full-size Ram 1500 pickup truck
- Anticipating up to 30+ mpg on the highway with EcoBoost® power, Transit Connect Van offers customers their choice of two fuel-efficient four-cylinder engines, two wheelbase lengths, two model series and an available CNG/LPG prep package
- Transit Connect Van takes versatility to a new level with convenient sliding side doors, side-hinged rear cargo doors, a choice of side and rear window configurations, and an estimated 1,600-pound payload
With global commercial vehicle sales expected to jump significantly during the next several years, Ford's all-new 2014 Transit Connect cargo van is set to provide cost-conscious commercial fleets and small business owners with unmatched fuel economy and versatility in an expanding commercial vehicle market.
Redesigned from the ground up, Ford Transit Connect cargo van drives and parks like a car, hauls more payload than a full-size Ram 1500 pickup, and delivers fuel efficiency unmatched by any other commercial vehicle in North America today – 30+ mpg on the highway.
"We have completely reengineered Transit Connect with North American business owners top of mind," said Joe Hinrichs, Ford's president of The Americas. "This all-new cargo hauler offers entrepreneurs and fleet owners a unique combination of leading fuel efficiency, cargo capacity and maneuverability."
With global commercial vehicle sales expected to grow by 4.8 million during the next several years to 21 million units annually by 2017, Transit Connect represents a major opportunity. Ford is the second-largest commercial brand in the world and best-selling commercial vehicle brand in North America. The company is leveraging its One Ford product strategy to meet the growing needs of Transit Connect customers in 66 global markets with vans that are Built Ford Tough and even more fuel efficient and capable and with greater choice of bodystyles.
Transit Connect joins the most fuel-efficient lineup in Ford Motor Company's history. Next year, Ford will offer eight vehicles rated at 40 mpg or higher – double 2011's total, and more than any other automaker. Ford tops Toyota in fuel economy in every segment in which both companies compete.
Transit Connect will be joined by the all-new 2014 Ford Transit full-size van, which will provide professional tradesmen and commercial fleet customers with a diverse array of bodystyles and configurations tailored to their work needs, unmatched fuel economy and low cost of operation.
To meet the needs of North American customers, Transit Connect Van is offered in two wheelbase lengths, in XL and XLT series levels, and with up to a 1,600-pound payload and more than 130 cubic feet of cargo space.
For the first time, this versatile compact van is also approved to tow up to 2,000 pounds when properly equipped.
Power of choice
Transit Connect Van offers North American customers a choice between two fuel-efficient four-cylinder engines – a standard 2.5-liter and an optional 1.6-liter EcoBoost® estimated to deliver 30+ mpg on the highway.
These powertrain alternatives make Transit Connect Van the gas mileage leader among commercial cargo haulers.
Transit Connect's 2.5-liter engine can also be specified with a compressed natural gas/liquid propane gas (CNG/LPG) preparation package, enabling convenient conversion by Ford-certified upfit specialists.
Both engines come mated to an efficient six-speed automatic transmission, geared for around-town responsiveness and low-rpm highway cruising.
Transit Connect Van offers unexpected features in a high-value package, combined with low operating costs.
This stylish, contemporary cargo van is available with or without second-row seating, and offers useful options like rear view camera, 6.5-inch touch screen display with navigation, and SYNC® with MyFord Touch® – Ford's highly acclaimed voice-activated mobile communications and entertainment system.
Transit Connect is a One Ford global design delivering substantial capability on a compact overall footprint with urban-friendly maneuverability. It is ideal for small business proprietors and fleets aiming to right-size vehicles to specific duties.
The Transit Connect work ethic is reflected in this clever van's cargo carrying and payload capabilities, and its high-strength body engineered to rigorous global commercial vehicle durability standards.
The all-new Transit Connect Van builds on the foundation of reliability and durability established by the current Transit Connect compact van. Introduced in North America in 2009, Transit Connect has become the must-have vehicle for small business proprietors and fleets.
Transit Connect was recognized as an innovative "white space" vehicle – literally carving out a new category in the market – by the automotive industry press corps when it was named North American Truck of the Year in January 2010 at the North American International Auto Show. Now selling at a pace of 35,000 units per year, Transit Connect has also become a favorite of taxi operators in major urban areas such as Los Angeles and New York City. Tradesmen and fleet administrators alike find its combination of car-like maneuverability, ease of handling and cargo capacity just right for many tasks.
All Transit Connect Van models feature first-row frontal and side airbags, first-row side curtain airbags, and a tire pressure monitoring system.
Ford's award-winning MyKey® programmable ignition key, enabling owners and fleet administrators to restrict maximum vehicle speed and audio system volume, is standard.
Multiple vehicle fleets can specify Transit Connect with the available Ford Work Solutions™ Crew Chief™ telematics system, powered by Telogis®. This system enables a centralized fleet logistics leader to simultaneously monitor several vehicles in real time – for location, speed and excess idle time – thus improving productivity and efficiency.
Look for Transit Connect Van to begin arriving in dealerships in North America late next year.
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F ), a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 172,000 employees and 65 plants worldwide, the company's automotive brands include Ford and Lincoln. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford and its products worldwide, please visit http://corporate.ford.com.
SOURCE Ford Motor Company
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks
- MAX 2006: Tracks Announced
- BT's "Fixed-Mobile" Phone Gives Callers the Best of Both Worlds
- MetaSolv to Host Provisioning Symposium in London