|By PR Newswire||
|December 13, 2012 02:49 PM EST||
NEW ORLEANS, Dec. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Michelin North America unveiled today the latest innovation from the Pilot family of tires, the MICHELIN® Pilot® Sport A/S 3™, a new tire that will provide drivers with enhanced handling and control in a variety of weather conditions. The MICHELIN Pilot Sport A/S 3 tire uses a unique tread design and proven Michelin technologies to deliver all-season performance and incredible wet and dry braking, enabling a passion for driving year-round without sacrificing safety.
"As an all-weather, all-season tire, the MICHELIN Pilot Sport A/S 3 marries performance and practicality," said Doug Brown, ultra-high performance category manager at Michelin North America. "This tire is ideal for someone who wants to optimize the performance of his or her vehicle and drive with confidence year-round."
The MICHELIN Pilot Sport A/S 3 tire distinguishes itself in the ultra-high performance all-season tire market because of the Michelin technology it bears. No other all-season tire on the market benefits from Michelin's heritage in endurance racing and arsenal of technological innovations. Specific technology benefits include:
Breakthrough levels of dry grip
- Variable Contact Patch 2.0 combined with an aggressive asymmetric tread pattern inspired by the MICHELIN Pilot Super Sport.
Incredible wet grip and resistance to hydroplaning regardless of the road surface
- Extreme amounts of silica in the tread compound combined with Variable Thickness Sipes and large circumferential grooves.
Cold weather mobility for true all-season performance
- Michelin's Helio Compound™ combined with Variable Thickness Sipes and unique biting edges in the tread grooves.
For detailed information on Michelin technologies engineered into the MICHELIN Pilot Sport A/S 3 tire, please visit: http://www.michelinman.com/pilotsportas3
In 2008, Michelin introduced the MICHELIN® Pilot® Sport A/S Plus, which offered a combination of all-weather performance and extended tread life. Three years later, the company introduced the MICHELIN® Pilot® Super Sport, born from endurance racing.
"In endurance racing, tire performance and longevity are crucial – the same is true for street tires," added Brown.
Continuing the Pilot family legacy, the MICHELIN Pilot Sport A/S 3 tire, available in late summer 2013, delivers dramatically improved grip in wet and dry conditions, extraordinary handling and control and better dry and wet braking than the previous generation, while also providing cold weather mobility.
This technology leap is due in part to advancements in three areas:
1) Tread Pattern – The tread pattern in the MICHELIN Pilot Sport A/S 3 does not resemble any other all-season tire. Rather than a directional tread design, the MICHELIN Pilot Sport A/S3 has an asymmetric tread design. This provides for:
- The tire to exhibit less noise as it wears
- Greater flexibility for tire rotations
- More rubber and rigid blocks on the outside shoulder, to provide high levels of lateral grip
- Better handling and control for drivers
2) Tire Compound – By applying a special silica compound technology proven in endurance racing, Michelin engineers are able to achieve maximum wet traction from a single tread compound. The same Michelin compound technologies used during wet sessions at the historic 24 Hours of Le Mans qualifying have been enhanced to provide all-season performance in the Pilot Sport A/S 3.
3) Cold Weather Mobility – Michelin's Helio Compound™ technology engineered into the MICHELIN Pilot Sport A/S 3 tire allows it to withstand colder temperatures, meaning consumers benefit from extra grip at low temperatures while extending their vehicles' driving season. By also adding biting edges in the tread grooves, the tire gains traction in snow.
Other technologies incorporated in the MICHELIN Pilot Sport A/S 3 tire include the Variable Contact Patch 2.0 (VCP 2.0), which focuses on evenly spreading contact patch pressures and temperatures regardless of the driving situation. Variable Contact Patch 2.0 is one of the key technologies derived from Michelin's experience in endurance racing.
The MICHELIN Pilot Sport A/S 3 tire embodies the company's commitment to delivering total performance. A tire's most critical role is providing grip and handling to drivers, which is why Michelin systematically aims to deliver the best possible performances in every passenger car and light truck tire made while minimizing performance tradeoffs.
The MICHELIN Pilot Sport A/S 3 tire is designed, engineered and manufactured in North America. It will be available in 65 sizes ranging from 175/65/R15 to 285/35/ZR20. The MICHELIN Pilot Sport A/S 3 tire is backed by the Michelin Promise Plan™, a comprehensive tire service package for MICHELIN replacement tire owners.
Consumers are encouraged to visit the Team Michelin Tire Selector on http://www.michelinman.com to find a complete listing of MICHELIN® Pilot® Sport A/S 3 tire benefits and to research the best tire for their individual needs.
Dedicated to the improvement of sustainable mobility, Michelin designs, manufactures and sells tires for every type of vehicle, including airplanes, automobiles, bicycles, earthmovers, farm equipment, heavy-duty trucks and motorcycles. The company also publishes travel guides, hotel and restaurant guides, maps and road atlases. Headquartered in Greenville, S.C., Michelin North America (www.michelinman.com) employs more than 22,000 and operates 18 major manufacturing plants in 16 locations.
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher