|By PR Newswire||
|December 13, 2012 09:00 AM EST||
HOPKINTON, Mass., Dec. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- In partnership with EMC Corporation (NYSE: EMC) Purdue Pharma L.P. - a privately-held pharmaceutical company engaged in research, development, production, and marketing of prescription and over-the-counter medicines and healthcare products - has transformed its IT infrastructure with EMC®, VMware and VCE™ technologies. Purdue Pharma is leveraging these technologies to enable and accelerate virtualization and IT consolidation and achieved delivery of IT-as-a-Service (ITaaS) while enabling disaster recovery.
- Reduced Infrastructure and Energy Costs - IT transformation has reduced Purdue's data center footprint by 70% with projected infrastructure savings of $9 million and energy cost savings of $2.5 million over five years.
- Assured Rapid Disaster Recovery - Purdue Pharma has increased resiliency to recover from natural disasters, such as tornadoes that wipe out power and communications, in just hours instead of days with EMC RecoverPoint® continuous data protection.
- Improved Backup and Recovery - EMC Avamar® helps keep drug data securely protected, yet easily retrievable.
Customer Challenges and Solution:
With no action, Purdue Pharma would soon have faced the risks of running out of power capacity and data center space, disaster recovery software losing support from the vendor, and a myriad of new cost and configuration complexities. Its aging infrastructure had difficulty keeping up with the massive volumes of new data. To help the business, IT needed to also speed delivery of specialized customer relationship management (CRM) services and enable iPad support for an increasingly mobile and connected sales force.
To help Purdue Pharma increase its ability to deliver new services, the company selected EMC Avamar deduplication backup software, RecoverPoint continuous data protection while leveraging support capabilities from EMC Global Services as well as VCE Vblock™ Systems for converged infrastructure and VMware vSphere. Purdue Pharma's new IT infrastructure supports its critical applications including Microsoft Exchange, SQL Server, SharePoint, Oracle, SAP and CRM.
Steve Rayda, Chief Technology Officer, Purdue Pharma
"Faster time to market is critical as Purdue enters new areas where our exact IT requirements are not predictable. With the agility of an IT infrastructure built on EMC, VCE and VMware technologies, we can dynamically allocate infrastructure resources as needed. It has helped us to deliver services quickly and efficiently. Not only are we supporting the company's mission, but we're helping to do so more efficiently."
"Because of dramatic server and storage consolidation, we've been able to shrink our data center footprint significantly and decrease our capital IT budget by 20-30%. We're expecting to realize multi-million dollar cost savings and avoidance of added expenses over five years. These savings give us room to grow and develop IT services that support the company's efforts."
"With an ITaaS model, our business users are no longer involved with backend details of the infrastructure. Once the project team establishes the business requirements, their IT counterparts can quickly provision appropriate storage and data protection."
"With EMC's backup and recovery solutions, we can keep our data well protected, yet easily retrievable. De-duplication rates of up to 98% have reduced our backups from hours to minutes. We've also reduced backup tapes by nearly 90% per month, which provides added cost and time savings."
"The resilience of our private cloud proved invaluable when one of our sites got hit with 60+ tornadoes within a 12 hour period. While our local competitors were down for days, we successfully rerouted traffic and Monday morning was business as usual at Purdue, with all connections safely switched over and no data loss or connectivity interruption."
- Learn more about EMC Avamar and EMC RecoverPoint
- Learn more about VCE Vblock
- Connect with EMC via Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn and ECN
EMC Corporation is a global leader in enabling businesses and service providers to transform their operations and deliver IT as a service. Fundamental to this transformation is cloud computing. Through innovative products and services, EMC accelerates the journey to cloud computing, helping IT departments to store, manage, protect and analyze their most valuable asset — information — in a more agile, trusted and cost-efficient way. Additional information about EMC can be found at www.EMC.com.
EMC, Avamar, and EMC RecoverPoint are registered trademarks or trademarks of EMC Corporation in the United States and other countries. VCE and Vblock are registered trademarks or trademarks of VCE Company LLC or its affiliates in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks used herein are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE EMC Corporation
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher