|By PR Newswire||
|December 12, 2012 09:49 AM EST||
HOPKINTON, Mass., Dec. 12, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- EMC® Smarts® 9.1 extends EMC's virtual data center management capabilities to now include root-cause and impact analysis for all VMware vSphere® attached storage through new and enhanced integrations with VMware vCenter ™ Server and the EMC Storage Resource Management (SRM) Suite.
- New capability to provide root-cause and impact analysis for wireless networks through discovery of wireless controllers and the monitoring of wireless access points.
EMC Corporation (NYSE: EMC) today announced significant enhancements to EMC® Smarts software, further extending EMC's leadership in managing virtual data centers and cloud environments. EMC Smarts 9.1 now includes root-cause and impact analysis for all VMware vSphere attached storage through new and enhanced integrations with VMware vCenter Server and the EMC SRM Suite. Smarts 9.1 software enables users to visualize and understand storage and virtual machine relationships and dependencies in both physical and virtual data centers—and is a leading solution capable of correlating VMware DRS and SDRS (Distributed Resources Scheduler and Storage Distributed Resources Scheduler) activity to overall data center management. With this latest release of Smarts, EMC is delivering another management solution supporting EMC's position as the #1 storage choice for VMware environments.
To view the multimedia version of this news release go to http://www.emc.com/about/news/press/2012/20121212-01.htm.
The EMC SRM Suite is EMC's single, easily consumable monitoring and reporting package that provides performance, capacity, and configuration management for EMC and select third-party storage arrays. EMC Prosphere® is a key component of the SRM Suite. Through Smarts 9.1 integration with the SRM Suite, EMC ProSphere now provides EMC Smarts 9.1 with storage topology- and device-level information to enhance the EMC Smarts management model.
The new enhancements to Smarts enable high service-level assurance and operational efficiency by eliminating management blind spots. Smarts delivers detailed insight into virtualized IT environments, from virtual machines to the underlying physical infrastructure. Smarts gives customers the ability to easily understand the fast-changing relationships and interdependencies among physical and virtual infrastructure elements. These elements include physical, virtual, and wireless networks, virtual switches, VMware vSphere Storage and virtual machine vSphere vMotion activity, virtual machine impacts, and device and path information for all VMware vSphere attached storage.
Smarts 9.1 Technology Highlights:
- Increased Virtual Data Center Visibility— Delivers line-of-sight of virtualized IT environments, from virtual machines to the underlying physical infrastructure, so that users can understand the interdependencies—including virtual networks, virtual switches, vSphere vMotion activity, VM impacts, and all VMware vSphere attached storage.
- Comprehensive Configuration Management— Delivers ability to see all changes and deviations from approved configurations, leverage policies to ensure desired configurations automatically remain compliant, make device updates and corrections faster and more easily, and eliminate the possibility of human error creating a service-impacting problem.
- Enhanced Ability to Identify & Act— Delivers the ability to automatically identify root causes, and quickly separate symptoms from problems so users can address the appropriate issue impacting application and service delivery. Users can also determine risk conditions by seeing performance degradations and understanding dependencies—before business impact occurs. In addition, customers can manage key cloud-enabling technologies, including protocol management, MPLS, optical, multicast, and VoIP.
Announced earlier this year, VMware vCloud® Suite 5.1 is a complete and integrated cloud infrastructure solution that integrates VMware's leading virtualization, cloud infrastructure and management portfolio—simplifying the adoption of cloud era technologies for customers. With this latest version of EMC Smarts, EMC is extending a holistic view across all IT infrastructure elements to dramatically improve availability and performance of applications and services. Smarts delivers a complete, unified view into the entire virtual data center, enabling customers to effectively visualize and understand the complex interrelationships among virtual assets, their underpinning physical elements and the applications and data sources that relate to them. While VMware is managing the virtual infrastructure, Smarts is managing the supporting "shared" physical and virtual infrastructure to provide a complete view of the physical and virtual environments.
Nadine Routhier, Vice President, NCR Telecommunications and Technology
"NCR is using EMC Smarts in its Managed IT Domain Services, providing our customers with remote monitoring and management of enterprise IT domains. Network operations is critical to this service, which monitors, identifies, and resolves problems in the IT infrastructure. With Smarts now providing management of both the physical and virtual environments—including remote restoration and updates to managed wireless devices, NCR can quickly identify the root cause of issues, and confidently provide service assurance to customers."
Industry Analyst Quote:
Jim Frey, Managing Research Director Network Management, Enterprise Management Associates
"EMC Smarts has been addressing the availability, performance, configuration, and service assurance needs of enterprises and service providers across virtual and physical technologies for years. EMC is extending those capabilities with the latest release of EMC Smarts to provide enhanced, integrated visibility into storage and wireless networking. These extensions improve the solution's completeness and put operators in position to better understand, monitor, and troubleshoot cross-domain issues across the whole IT service delivery environment."
EMC Executive Quote:
Amitabh Srivastava, President, EMC Advanced Storage Division
"As customers continue transforming their virtual data centers and cloud architectures—laying the foundation for a Software Defined Data Center—it creates new management challenges. The need for agility, efficiency and controlling costs remain top of mind. This is an important update to EMC Smarts because it provides new levels of visibility into their virtual data centers, along with actionable information that enable customers to address issues before their business is impacted."
- Managed View Blog
- Enterprise Strategy Group Videos About Managing Virtual Data Centers and EMC Smarts
- Enterprise Strategy Group Analyst Paper
- EMC Perspective On Operational Management in Virtualized Data Centers
- Video On Virtual Data Center Management
- More EMC Smarts Information
EMC Corporation is a global leader in enabling businesses and service providers to transform their operations and deliver IT as a service. Fundamental to this transformation is cloud computing. Through innovative products and services, EMC accelerates the journey to cloud computing, helping IT departments to store, manage, protect and analyze their most valuable asset – information – in a more agile, trusted and cost-efficient way. Additional information about EMC can be found at www.EMC.com.
EMC is a registered trademarks or trademarks of EMC Corporation in the United States and other countries. All other trademarks herein are the property of their respective holders. VMware, vMotion, vSphere, VMware vCloud and VMware vCenter are registered trademarks and/or trademarks of VMware, Inc. The use of the word "partner" or "partnership" does not imply a legal partnership relationship with VMware or any other company.
SOURCE EMC Corporation
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks