|By PR Newswire||
|December 11, 2012 09:39 PM EST||
NEW YORK, Dec. 11, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- AJC praised Canada for unveiling a new package of sanctions against Iran focused on sectors that support or provide funds to the country's nuclear program.
"The Iranian regime must address, with urgent and concrete action, the international community's grave concerns over its nuclear activities," said Foreign Minister John Baird in announcing the new measures.
AJC Executive Director David Harris saluted "Canada's forthright efforts to advance global peace and security by intensifying existing pressures on the recalcitrant Iranian regime."
Significantly, the new sanctions include for the first time the Iranian Revolutionary Guard. Other sectors targeted include oil and gas, mining and metals, and shipping.
Baird explained that new sanctions are necessary because "the Iranian regime refuses to comply with its international obligations, cooperate fully with the International Atomic Energy Agency, or enter into meaningful negotiation."
Canada's initiative comes amidst talk of another meeting of Iran with the P5+1 group of nations -- Britain, China, France, Germany, Russia and the U.S. -- and follows a new set of enhanced U.S. sanctions on Iran.
Baird addressed AJC's 2012 Global Forum in Washington, D.C.
SOURCE American Jewish Committee
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks