|By PR Newswire||
|December 11, 2012 07:46 AM EST||
ALEXANDRIA, Va., Dec. 11, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Rev. Larry Snyder, President of Catholic Charities USA (CCUSA), has been confirmed by the Holy Father as a Member of the Pontifical Council Cor Unum for a second five-year period.
In a letter informing Fr. Snyder of his appointment, the President of the Pontifical Council Cor Unum, Robert Cardinal Sarah, wrote, "While enclosing your letter of appointment I avail the opportunity to express our wishes for a continued fruitful collaboration with this Dicastery of the Holy See, during this second term of this responsibility entrusted to you by the Supreme Pontiff."
Father Snyder will travel to Rome in January for the council's Plenary Assembly.
"It is a privilege to be given the opportunity to continue to serve the Church and Catholic Charities agencies across the country in this way," said Fr. Snyder. "We are reminded particularly during this Advent season of the powerful message of Christ to deliver charity to the millions in need. Through the Pontifical Council Cor Unum, we have the inspiration and coordination to manifest Christ's love in these charitable works."
The Pontifical Council Cor Unum for Human and Christian Development is a council of the Roman Curia of the Roman Catholic Church devoted to human and Christian development. It oversees the charitable activities done by Catholic organizations. The council was founded by Pope Paul VI in 1971, on the principle that the Church is called to serve the needy and to encourage human development.
Its mission is "the care of the Catholic Church for the needy, thereby encouraging human fellowship and making manifest the charity of Christ." It undertakes this mission by fostering charity and encouraging cooperation and coordination of other Catholic organizations.
About Catholic Charities USA
Catholic Charities USA is the national office for Catholic Charities agencies nationwide. Catholic Charities USA's members provide help and create hope for more than 10 million people a year regardless of religious, social, or economic backgrounds. For almost 300 years, Catholic Charities agencies have worked to reduce poverty by providing a myriad of vital services in their communities, ranging from health care and job training to food and housing. For additional information, please visit our website at www.catholiccharitiesusa.org
SOURCE Catholic Charities USA
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks