|By Marketwired .||
|December 11, 2012 06:49 AM EST||
LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM -- (Marketwire) -- 12/11/12 -- With the festive season upon us leading car insurance broker Swinton is warning motorists not to become complacent about drink driving and to leave their cars at home if they are heading out for a drink.
In 2011, drink driving caused 280 deaths and 1,290 serious injuries according the Royal Society of the Prevention of Accidents.
In the UK, the alcohol limit for drivers is 80mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood, 35mg per 100ml of breath or 107mg per 100ml of urine. However, there is no foolproof way of drinking and staying under the limit.
Swinton is also warning office workers about the dangers of having a few festive glasses of alcohol at lunchtime and then driving home after work finishes at 5.30, as there could still be traces of alcohol in the body leaving drivers over the legal limit.
Consuming boozy food can also pose a threat to drivers, as foods like Christmas pudding and brandy sauce can add a few additional units to the overall intake, unwittingly putting people over the drink drive limit.
Steve Chelton, Claims Manager at Swinton said, "Drink driving is illegal because it is so dangerous. Motorists should always leave the car behind if heading out for a drink. Even if they have a drink and don't get behind the wheel until a few hours later there is a chance that they could still be under the influence as people break alcohol down differently depending on a number of factors including, height, weight, sex, age and gender.
"If you are caught drink driving you can expect a prison term, a driving ban and a hefty fine, and a likely increase on your next car insurance quote. Is it really worth it?"
-- With over 500 branches nationwide Swinton is the UK's largest high street insurance retailer -- Unlike many other companies in the financial services industry, Swinton is committed to keeping its branches open for business, and part of the community -- Swinton provides a one-stop-shop for the insurance and related needs of its clients, offering home, car, caravan, business, holiday, motorbike and even classic car insurance -- With a dedicated team on hand at every branch to search a panel of insurers to offer quality cover at competitive rates.
Mairead Rodden, Lucy Gordon or Alyssa Harrison
0161 838 7770
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks
- MAX 2006: Tracks Announced
- BT's "Fixed-Mobile" Phone Gives Callers the Best of Both Worlds
- MetaSolv to Host Provisioning Symposium in London