|By PR Newswire||
|December 11, 2012 12:01 AM EST||
WASHINGTON, Dec. 11, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Following is the daily "Profile America" feature from the U.S. Census Bureau:
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 11: CHRISTMAS LIGHTS
Profile America — Tuesday, December 11th. All across the country, the winter darkness is ablaze with colorful lights — from small towns to big cities, along streets and in storefronts, as well as private homes. Some neighborhoods have such massive annual displays they draw people from miles away. While the exact time and place of the first outdoor holiday lights is not known, one of the first occurred in Denver in 1914 when an electrician named David Sturgeon dipped light bulbs in colored paint to light a tree outside his desperately ill grandson's window. Written up in the local newspaper, the idea soon caught on around the country. Christmas lights are part of the $2.2 billion of electric light bulbs and parts made and sold each year in the U.S. Profile America is in its 16th year as a public service of the U.S. Census Bureau.
Sources: 2007 Economic Census, NAICS 335110
Profile America is produced by the Center for New Media and Promotions of the U.S. Census Bureau. These daily features are available as produced segments, ready to air, on a monthly CD or on the Internet at http://www.census.gov
SOURCE U.S. Census Bureau
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks