|By PR Newswire||
|December 10, 2012 11:20 AM EST|
OTTAWA, Dec. 10, 2012 /CNW/ - The Honourable Rona Ambrose, Minister of Public Works and Government Services and Minister for Status of Women, today urged all Canadians to continue their actions to end violence against women and girls even as the 16 Days of Activism against Gender Violence draw to a close here and around the world.
"Our Government recognizes that all Canadians - women and girls, men and boys - must be part of the solution to ending violence against women and girls," said Minister Ambrose. "Let us reaffirm today that we will continue national, regional and local community actions to end violence against women and girls wherever it occurs."
Minister Ambrose noted that Canadians undertook a wide range of activities this year - as individuals, in community organizations, governments, and the private sector - to end violence against women and girls. "I hope the significant momentum created during the 16 Days of Activism this year will inspire Canadians to continue their efforts at ending violence against women and girls throughout the year."
The 16 Days of Activism against Gender Violence began on November 25, with the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women, and conclude today with International Human Rights Day. The campaign also marked significant dates such as December 6, Canada's National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence against Women.
The Government of Canada is committed to supporting projects that yield concrete results for women and girls in Canada while strengthening families, communities and the country. Through Status of Women Canada, the government's support for community-based projects has nearly doubled since 2006-2007, from $10.8 million to close to $19 million, its highest level ever. Since 2007, more than $54 million in funding has been approved for projects that seek to address violence against women and girls.
SOURCE Status of Women Canada
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks