|By PR Newswire||
|December 10, 2012 11:20 AM EST||
SEATTLE, Dec. 10, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The following is being released by the National Federation of the Blind:
Date: December 12, 2012
Time: 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. PST
Place: Amazon.com Headquarters
426 Terry Avenue North
Seattle, WA 98109
On Wednesday, December 12, over a hundred members and supporters of the National Federation of the Blind will participate in a protest outside of Amazon.com's headquarters in Seattle. David A. Paterson, the fifty-fifth governor of the state of New York, is also scheduled to participate. The informational picket will raise awareness of a recent push by Amazon to put Kindle e-books, which are inaccessible to blind students, into K-12 classrooms across the country. The action comes on the heels of Amazon's launch of Whispercast, a system designed to allow teachers and school administrators to push Kindle e-books to different devices, theoretically allowing the sharing of content among devices brought to school by the students. Kindle content, unlike some other e-book products, is not accessible to blind students, even on devices that are themselves accessible to the blind, such as personal computers and iPads. For more information about the protest or this important issue, please visit www.nfb.org/kindle-books.
About the National Federation of the Blind
The National Federation of the Blind (NFB) is the oldest, largest, and most influential nationwide membership organization of blind people in the United States. Founded in 1940, the NFB advocates for the civil rights and equality of blind Americans, and develops innovative education, technology, and training programs to provide the blind and those who are losing vision with the tools they need to become independent and successful. We need your support. To make a donation, please go to www.nfb.org
SOURCE National Federation of the Blind
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks