|By PR Newswire||
|December 6, 2012 08:45 PM EST||
LANSING, Mich., Dec. 6, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- In devastating blow to the middle class in Michigan, Republicans, bankrolled by wealthy, corporate CEOs, pass anti-work legislation tonight which promises to flatten wages and crush workers' rights. Following the Republicans' destructive vote, Working Michigan, a broad coalition of faith, labor and community organizations issued the following statement:
"The legislation passed tonight is nothing short of an attack on the middle class in Michigan by Republican leadership and their corporate CEO funders. This is a divisive have law that will hurt our state by driving wages down and pitting worker against each other.
"Study after study has demonstrated the devastating effects of this sort of legislation: workers in 'right-to-work' states make $1,500 less per year, meanwhile the growth rate for 'right-to-work' states actually drops after legislation of this sort is enacted. Dressing the legislation up with benign sounding phrases like 'workplace freedom,' Michiganders understand what's at stake here and will hold them accountable.
"In the wake of this legislation, the only 'freedom' gained for Michigan workers will be the freedom to make less, the freedom to be disrespected at work, the freedom to struggle to pay their bills and the freedom to be left out of the American dream. This bill is a blatant attempt by the richest in Michigan to silence the voices of working families in our democracy, build their own power, and make the growing gap between the rich and everyone else even bigger.
"Should Snyder sign this legislation, he will join a list of other governors – John Kasich, Scott Walker, and others – who have signed over the future of their respective states to big corporations and CEOs, making a decision to leave working families behind. Regardless of what might happen, working people have made it clear they will continue to fight for our vision of a better, stronger Michigan and work to hold elected leaders accountable."
SOURCE Working Michigan Coalition
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks