|By Business Wire||
|December 6, 2012 12:39 PM EST||
Veracode, Inc., the leader in cloud-based application security testing, encourages application developers to take a more proactive role in securing applications as part of a larger call to action to protect companies from vulnerabilities. Each year, companies spend billions of dollars on outsourcing software development, yet very little is spent on security verification, resulting in security breaches caused by software vulnerabilities.
Veracode also aims to limit the amount of security checks companies have to make when purchasing third-party applications by offering to developers a web-based eLearning training program. The online courses provide developers with certification and CPE credits and teach developers secure coding for ASP.NET, J2EE and C/C++. eLearning also aims to help developers measure and track their development progress and comply with ISO regulations and industry standards such as SANS Application Security Procurement Contract Language.
“The simple fact is that if someone wants your intellectual property, they are going to use the software you bought, built or outsourced to get it,” said Chris Eng, vice president of research, Veracode. “We developed these eLearning courses to provide developers with the guidelines and best practices that they should take to ensure the security of their customers.”
Veracode suggests that by following its eLearning development suggestions, developers will be able to:
- Protect companies from vulnerabilities. With the vast amount of threats that constantly pressure companies and government, it is important to ensure that the software applications these organizations utilize are completely secure. To certify applications are free of vulnerabilities, several processes must be employed within the Secure Development Lifecycle (SDLC), including testing the application’s security controls at each stage of development. Such tests include static analysis, dynamic analysis or penetration testing.
- Preserve data, IP and brand reputation. Some of the most critical application security flaws, including Cross Site Scripting (XSS) and broken authentication, allow for easy exploitation where attackers can completely take over the software, steal data, or prevent the software from working at all. In order to prevent these flaws, security practices must be integrated within the SDLC, and security of internally developed applications must be verified before they are deployed. Additionally, staying on top of patches and software updates can help bring attention to previously undiscovered flaws.
- Perform business as usual. During the SDLC, developers must model an application, scan the code, check the quality and ensure that it meets regulations, on top of building a unique and useful application. Automated secure development testing tools help developers adhere to these development steps, while finding and fixing security issues at the same time. Veracode offers these services as well as secure development training so that developers can gain further education and insight into security issues they may have created.
Veracode wants all developers to keep these guidelines in mind when creating applications, as they allow them to detect flaws, test the security features of the applications, and ensure the customer’s data is protected above all else.
Veracode is the only independent provider of cloud-based application intelligence and security verification services. The Veracode platform provides the fastest, most comprehensive solution to improve the security of internally developed, purchased or outsourced software applications and third-party components. By combining patented static, dynamic and manual testing, extensive eLearning capabilities, and advanced application analytics, Veracode enables scalable, policy-driven application risk management programs that help identify and eradicate numerous vulnerabilities by leveraging best-in-class technologies from vulnerability scanning to penetration testing and static code analysis. Veracode delivers unbiased proof of application security to stakeholders across the software supply chain while supporting independent audit and compliance requirements for all applications no matter how they are deployed, via the web, mobile or in the cloud. Veracode works with customers in more than 80 countries worldwide representing Global 2000 brands. For more information, visit www.veracode.com, follow on Twitter: @Veracode or read the Veracode Blog.
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks