|By PR Newswire||
|December 6, 2012 11:18 AM EST||
OTTAWA, Dec. 6, 2012 /CNW/ - A two-minute vignette honouring Canada's Hong Kong veterans has been released by The War Amps to coincide with the December 8 national ceremony marking the anniversary of the start of the battle of Hong Kong.
The battle began December 8, 1941 and, on December 25, the Canadian soldiers were taken prisoners of war by Japan, suffering starvation and slave labour for 44 months. Many died from disease and malnutrition, and those who survived suffered lasting disabilities. The vignette tells this story as well as how the Hong Kong Veterans, in an effort spearheaded by The War Amps, successfully fought for compensation and an apology for the maltreatment and forced labour they endured.
The vignette, which has been distributed to regular and community channels across Canada can be viewed at youtube.com/warampsofcanada.
A ceremony to mark the anniversary of the start of the battle which has been organized by the Hong Kong Veterans Commemorative Association and is open to the public will commence at 11 am on Saturday December 8 at the Hong Kong Veterans Memorial Wall at the corner of Sussex Drive and King Edward Avenue in Ottawa.
Operation Legacy, which consists of members of The War Amps Child Amputee (CHAMP) Program who are committed to passing the remembrance message on to the younger generation, will take part in the ceremony, placing white roses at the base of the Memorial Wall.
As with all War Amps productions, the Hong Kong vignette was funded by corporate donations.
SOURCE War Amps
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher