|By PR Newswire||
|December 5, 2012 04:19 PM EST||
Airline offers its suggestions for a remarkable holiday travel experience
CALGARY, Dec. 5, 2012 /CNW/ - WestJet today shared its annual holiday travel tips to help guests travelling during the airline's busiest time of year.
"The holidays are a busy travel period whether guests are travelling home or to one of our vacation destinations," said Bob Cummings, WestJet Executive Vice-President, Sales, Marketing and Guest Experience. "Just as in previous years, we share these annual travel tips as part of our commitment to help deliver a smooth and remarkable travel experience."
1. Check out your check-in options.
WestJet offers four convenient check-in options.
- Newly designed web check-in is available at westjet.com. Guests can check in from 24 hours to 60 minutes before scheduled departure.
- Self-serve check-in kiosks are available at most Canadian and U.S. airports in WestJet's network from 24 hours to 60 minutes before scheduled departure. Select serve-serve kiosks also offer self-serve bag-tagging, allowing guests to print and attach their bag tags as part of their check-in process.
- Mobile check-in allows guests to check in with a mobile device from 24 hours to 60 minutes before scheduled departure.
- Traditional counter check-in is available in all airports. Our friendly WestJetters are always happy to greet guests and help them on their way.
2. Even Santa needs ID to fly.
Regardless of age, all guests require identification. Guests should ensure they also have the proper identification and travel documentation for their children. Each country on your itinerary may have different entrance and exit requirements. Before leaving, make sure the documents you use to get you there are sufficient to get you back home.
Packing a passport? Don't forget a passport if you're travelling to any destination outside Canada. Be sure your passport is in good condition. For questions relating to your passport, please visit http://www.passport.gc.ca/planification/203.aspx?lang=eng.
3. Be fashionable, not fashionably late.
Due to the high volume of holiday travellers, be prepared for longer wait times at the airport. We recommend guests arrive at the airport two hours prior to their scheduled time of departure. Guests can sign up to receive flight reminders or notification of flight changes by visiting westjet.com. Guests must be through security (and customs if travelling outside Canada) and at their departure gate 30 minutes prior to the scheduled time of departure. Guests arriving at the gate less than 10 minutes prior to departure risk losing their reserved seat.
4. We all carry a little baggage - help ensure yours fits on our aircraft.
Guests are permitted two pieces of carry-on baggage. One item of carry-on cannot exceed 21.5 in x 9 in x 15.5 in (55 cm x 23 cm x 40 cm) and the second item cannot exceed 16.5 in x 6 in x 13 in (43 cm x 16 cm x 33 cm). For guests travelling on flights between Alberta and Hawaii on WestJet's leased Boeing 757-200 aircraft from Thomas Cook Airlines, WestJet's standard carry-on allowance also applies.
Checked baggage cannot exceed 62 inches total combined length, width and height and must weigh under 23 kgs (50 lbs). Your first checked bag travels for free to any destination in WestJet's network.
Up to two excess bags will be accepted for a fee of $50 on a space-available basis to most destinations. Remember that excess baggage fees are combinable. For example, an extra item that is oversized and overweight will be charged both an oversized fee and overweight fee. Guests are encouraged to visit the baggage section of our website for details on sporting equipment, restricted items, special items and more - it's packed with information.
5. If you love something, don't set it free.
We suggest placing important 'must-have' special items into your first checked bag as we can't guarantee there will be room on the aircraft for all extra bags. For safe keeping, we strongly encourage bringing identification, prescription medication, mobile devices, keys and jewellery in your carry-on baggage.
6. We prefer rapping over wrapping, especially at airport security.
Wrapped presents should go in checked baggage. Airport security (CATSA) may unwrap any wrapped items in carry-on baggage, causing delays at security for you and your fellow travellers. If you have additional questions about security screening, please visit http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca.
7. Give Fido the first-class treatment.
Although we do not accept pets for travel in checked baggage between December 15 and January 6 inclusive, certain small animals may be able to travel in the cabin of the aircraft. Visit our travelling with pets page for full details.
8. Remember toys for girls and boys.
Make sure to pack some small games or toys for little WestJetters travelling this holiday. A long trip will pass quickly with some entertainment. We recommend bringing books, magazines, portable DVD players or toys for your little WestJetters. You can also enjoy up! - our inflight magazine - available in the seatback pockets.
9. Eggnog is best consumed responsibly.
Help create a remarkable guest experience for everyone on board by consuming alcohol responsibly. Canadian aviation regulations prohibit us from allowing a guest to board an aircraft when he/she may present a hazard to the aircraft or those on board.
Alcohol that isn't served by a flight attendant cannot be consumed on board the aircraft and will be confiscated. If you would like to enjoy a drink on board, our aircraft are licensed to serve alcohol and we offer a great selection of buy-on-board items.
10. Bring the cheer.
Share a holiday joke with your inflight crew - WestJetters are always looking for new material! If you have an appropriate holiday joke that makes you laugh every time, feel free to share it on board and help us spread the cheer.
If you have more questions about how to make your holiday travel even more stress free (including check-in, identification requirements, seating and baggage), please use the links under Travel Info on westjet.com.
Wherever your travels take you, WestJet wishes you and your family a happy holiday season.
WestJet is Canada's most preferred airline, offering scheduled service to 81 destinations in North America, Central America and the Caribbean. Powered by an award-winning culture of care, WestJet has pioneered low-cost flying in Canada. Recognized nationally as a top employer, WestJet now has more than 8,700 WestJetters across Canada. Operating a fleet of 100 Boeing Next-Generation 737 aircraft with future confirmed deliveries for an additional 35 Boeing Next-Generation 737 aircraft through 2018 and plans to launch a low-cost regional airline in 2013, WestJet strives to be one of the five most successful international airlines in the world.
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks