|By PR Newswire||
|December 4, 2012 04:00 AM EST||
-- Remote access to Windows apps from iPads, Androids, laptops, Chromebooks, etc., improves quality of learning and collaboration for students and teachers
DROITWICH, England, Dec. 4, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Ericom Software, a global leader in application access and desktop virtualization solutions, today announced that Ericom PowerTerm WebConnect has enabled Futures Community College to improve access to teaching and learning resources, and to accelerate BYOD adoption. Pupils and teachers taking advantage of the solution's HTML5-based zero RDP client component, AccessNow, can now enjoy instant, browser-based access to Windows-based educational and work applications from any device and any location.
Futures College's IT challenges began five years ago with a requirement to find a way to meet the government's push for a wider use of IT in education, and was even more pronounced as they lacked sufficient funds to replace their 600 aging and low-performing PCs. The College's initial requirements were met by Ericom's PowerTerm WebConnect RemoteView solution for application access. The new AccessNow technology further extends the functionality of PowerTerm WebConnect RemoteView and enables a true BYOD deployment.
"We needed a stable and uniform platform for providing access to Windows applications, desktops and services for teachers and pupils. We revamped our IT strategy and sought a flexible ICT solution that would meet our then current needs, but also provide plenty of options for the longer term," recalled David Nettleship, network manager at Futures Community College. "Ericom PowerTerm WebConnect gave us what we wanted for about 40% of the cost of deploying a similar Citrix solution, plus it was much easier to manage and maintain."
"PowerTerm WebConnect accelerated the performance of the college's old PCs, which instantly improved the quality of teaching," said Nettleship. "Our pupils were no longer frustrated by slow PCs; they could engage in lessons fully and complete IT-based tasks during lessons more successfully. And thanks to PowerTerm WebConnect's zero client option, AccessNow, our teachers and pupils can engage in school work and prepare lessons from their personal devices, as well. This is crucial as we predict that the number of their pupil or teacher-owned devices may increase by as much as 50% over the next three years."
Brian Berns, Ericom Software's President and COO commented: "We're thrilled that PowerTerm WebConnect has proven to be a consistently high performing access solution for the college, and also has enabled them to keep pace with changing trends in IT and education, such as BYOD. Our AccessNow zero RDP client technology provides students and pupils with simple and flexible browser-based access to Windows-based applications and virtual desktops, from iPads, Androids, laptops, and any other device using an HTML5-compatible Web browser." Berns added, "Ericom AccessNow runs entirely within browsers, including Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari, and any other HTML5-supported browser. It requires no installation of software on the end-user device, significantly reducing IT and helpdesk support costs."
Ericom PowerTerm WebConnect.
- Enables IT staff to publish Windows applications and desktops to user devices supporting an HTML5 browser, including Mac, iPads / iPhones, Android devices Chromebooks, Windows and Linux PCs and laptops, and other devices
- Support for on / off-campus browser-based, remote access to hosted Windows applications and desktops
- Same look and feel on all supported device types, reducing training and help desk costs
- Simple, easy and inexpensive to maintain; does not require any infrastructure for deployment, upgrades or patches; simply put new version on the server
- Includes Ericom's RDP compression and acceleration technology for improved user performance
- Comes with Ericom SSL Secure Gateway (no SSL VPN deployment needed)
- Works smoothly with existing SSL VPNs
To learn about Ericom's PowerTerm WebConnect and AccessNow zero client technology, visit: www.ericom.com
Download Customer Story: www.ericom.com/Story_Futures_Comm_College
Ericom Software is a leading global provider of Application Access, Virtualization and RDP Acceleration Solutions. Since 1993, Ericom has been helping users access enterprise mission-critical applications running on a broad range of Microsoft Windows Terminal Servers, Virtual Desktops, legacy hosts and other systems. Ericom has offices in the United States, United Kingdom and EMEA. Ericom also has an extensive network of distributors and partners throughout North America, Europe, Asia and the Far East. Our expanding customer base is more than 30 thousand strong, with over 7 million users. For more information about Ericom and its products, please visit http://www.ericom.com
Ericom UK Contact
Ericom US Contact
Copyright © 2012 Ericom Software Ltd. Ericom is a registered trademark and Ericom AccessNow is a trademark, of Ericom Software Ltd. All other company and brand, and product and service names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks