|By PR Newswire||
|November 29, 2012 01:31 PM EST||
HARRISBURG, Pa., Nov. 29, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- PennDOT has extended the deadline for elementary school students to submit entries for its aviation art contest until Wednesday, Dec. 19, recognizing that Hurricane Sandy resulted in school closings in some regions of the state.
Sponsored by PennDOT's Bureau of Aviation, the contest encourages students to display their talents and learn about aviation.
This year's contest theme is "50 Years of American Space Flight." Entries will be judged in two divisions: first through third grades, and fourth and fifth grades.
There will be 22 statewide winners, with one winner from each division selected from each of PennDOT's 11 district offices. Winners will receive a certificate signed by PennDOT Secretary Barry J. Schoch and an enlarged copy of their entry. The students' schools will also receive an enlarged copy of the artwork for display.
Artwork should be submitted on 8.5-by-11-inch or 9-by-12-inch paper, unframed, unmatted and unlaminated. All work must be done by hand (there is an exception for children with physical challenges).
Permitted formats are: acrylic, oil paint, felt-tip pens, indelible ink, soft ballpoint pens, watercolor or crayons. Formats that are not permitted include: non-permanent media such as pencil or charcoal, computer-generated artwork and collage work using photocopies.
The back of each submission should include the student's name, teacher's name, grade level, county and school address and phone number. Entries will not be returned. Winners' schools will be notified by telephone.
Send entries to: Bureau of Aviation, c/o William Sieg, 400 North St., Harrisburg, PA 17120 or P.O. Box 3457, Harrisburg, PA 17120-0064.
Last year's winners are viewable under the Bureau of Aviation's "Education & Career Center" section at www.dot.state.pa.us. For more information, call 717-783-8800.
Media contact: Erin Waters, 717-783-8800
SOURCE Pennsylvania Department of Transportation
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher