|By PR Newswire||
|November 28, 2012 04:46 PM EST||
COLUMBUS, Ohio, Nov. 28, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The Ohio Auto and Truck Recyclers Association (OATRA) expressed its grave doubts about yesterday's amendment to Senate Bill 273, which significantly weakens the consumer protections in the bill. The substance of the bill creates problems by opening salvage auctions to unlicensed bidders. The amendment now eliminates many of the sound consumer protections included, such as a provision for a database to track the transactions and requirements to report those transactions.
"The bill has simply gotten worse," said Jim McKinney, President of OATRA. "We have expressed many of our concerns about the negative impacts to jobs, the potential for environmental damage, and the risks to public safety. Now the bill would create even more problems for consumers. It would be harder to know if what is being sold at auction is legitimate. The market would be damaged even more."
OATRA has been educating the members of the House as well as the general public about the many positive contributions made by the auto recycling industry, from reusing or properly disposing of contaminants in salvage cars to recycling over 95 percent of their materials. OATRA's position is that Senate Bill 273 as currently written would unnecessarily upend well-established rules for the automobile recycling industry.
More information about OATRA or the automobile recycling industry is available at www.OATRA.net.
Contact: Jim McKinney (419) 747-0127
SOURCE Ohio Auto and Truck Recyclers Association (OATRA)
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks
- MAX 2006: Tracks Announced
- BT's "Fixed-Mobile" Phone Gives Callers the Best of Both Worlds
- MetaSolv to Host Provisioning Symposium in London