|By ACN Newswire||
|November 27, 2012 04:14 AM EST||
- IWS to offer global investment opportunities and sustainability solutions for the business sector in the Middle East region
Abu Dhabi, Nov 27, 2012 - (ACN Newswire) - With 40 per cent of the world predicted to live in water-scarce regions by 2025, the search for solutions will be a key priority for the inaugural International Water Summit in Abu Dhabi from 15-17 January 2013 where the world's foremost water experts will gather to share their insights with companies and government delegations.
The International Water Summit (IWS), hosted by Masdar, will bring together over 5,000 influential business leaders, policymakers and scientists to tackle the urgent challenges of wastewater and water access and security, including the water-energy nexus in arid regions. IWS will have Borouge-Borealis as a principal sponsor and the Abu Dhabi Water & Electricity Authority as a strategic partner.
World-leading organizations that have already confirmed their participation are UN Habitat, the Global Water Operators' Partnership Alliance (GWOPA), UN Water, the International Desalination Association, the National Food Security Program of Qatar, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), the Stockholm International Water Institute, the Public Utilities Board Singapore and the Arab Countries Water Utilities Association.
Also providing speakers for the International Water Summit are water solution innovators and developers such as Suez Environment, Veolia Water, CH2MHILL, NASA, Befesa Agua, the King Abdulla University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Xylem, Metito, Acciona Agua and Hyflux.
A steering committee consisting of senior representatives from the UAE Ministry of Water and Environment, Masdar, Abu Dhabi Water and Electricity Authority, Environment Agency-Abu Dhabi, Regulation & Supervision Bureau and the Abu Dhabi Sewerage Service Company is guiding the International Water Summit, which is being held under the patronage of HH General Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces.
Mohammad El-Ramahi, IWS Executive Steering Committee Secretary, Chairman of the Technical Committee and Head of Utilities, Engineering and Operation at Masdar, said the line-up of international and regional speakers reflects the water community's seriousness about finding solutions to the global water challenges, especially the water-energy nexus.
"Throughout the summit, we will be taking an international approach to meet the water challenges affecting arid regions, especially the Middle East, and we are pleased that Uschi Eid, Vice Chair of the UN Secretary Generals Advisory Board on Water, will join IWS to address the urgent issue of water scarcity in Arab regions."
"Peter Forsmann, Chairman of the renowned Stockholm International Water Institute, will participate in a workshop about the future challenges affecting water availability which will identify and define the depletion, allocation and distribution challenges that arid regions face."
"In addition, Men Leong Chew, Chief Executive Officer of the Public Utilities Board Singapore, will offer his vast experience during the interactive panel discussion on sustainable growth and economic development in arid regions."
Mr El-Ramahi also confirmed that Lee McIntire, Chief Executive of CH2M HILL, will be on the panel discussing the topic of Water and Energy as a Catalyst to Regional Development and Sustainable Growth which will be moderated by Mohamoud Abu-Zeid, President of the Arab Countries Water Utilities Association (ACWUA).
Another highlight of IWS will the panel discussion on cross boundary collaboration through international water governance.
"Joan Clos, Executive Director of UN Habitat, will join us for this forum which will closely look at the Millennium Development Goals (MDG) and Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) as a framework for analysis and comment on international water strategy and policy, and the effectiveness of collaboration to achieve water sustainability and to meet the global demand for potable water," said Mr El-Ramahi.
The International Water Summit (15 -17 January 2013) will be co-located with the World Future Energy Summit as part of Abu Dhabi Sustainability Week (13 - 17 January 2013).
Speakers at International Water Summit:
- Alex Katon, Executive Vice President of Strategy & Communications, IPR-GDF SUEZ Middle East, Turkey & Africa
- Alistair Munro, CEO / Managing Director, PROJECX
- Anthony Cox, Head of Division, Environment and Economy Integration OECD
- Asma El-Kasmi, UNESCO Chair Holder Water Women and Decision Power, UNESCO
- Bekele Debele Negewo, Water Resources Specialist, World Bank
- Bob Taylor, Business Development Director, Sembcorp
- Carl Ganter, Founder and Director, Circle of Blue
- Carlos Cosin, CEO, Befesa Agua
- Christoph Beier, Managing Director, German Tech.
- Colin J Hannan, Director of Special Projects-Water, Regulation & Supervision Bureau, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Diego Lucente, Expert Non Revenue Water, Suez Environment
- Dr. Ahmed Murad, Dr. Ahmed Ali Murad, Associate Professor Hydrogeology, Geology Department, UAE University
- Dr. Corrado Sommariva, Managing Director, ILF Middle East
- Dr. Graeme Pierce, Membrane Consultant
- Dr. Ilham Khadri, Executive, Dow Chemicals
- Dr. Thomas Missimer, Visiting Professor, KAUST
- Dr. Adil A. Bushnak, Chairman & CEO, Bushnak Group Saudi Arabia
- Dr. Farrukh Ahmad, Associate Professor Water and Environmental Engineering, Masdar Institute
- Dr. Hassan Fath, Professor, Masdar Institute
- Dr. Masaru Kurihara, President of Asia Pacific Desalination Association, (APDA), Director IDA, Senior Scientific Director, "Mega-ton Water System"
- Dr. Mohamed A. Dawoud, Water Resources Advisor, Environment Quality Sector, Environment Agency Abu Dhabi
- Dr. Mohamed Yousef Al Madfaei, Director General, Environment Agency Abu Dhabi
- Dr. Mohamed Yousef Al Madfaei, Executive Director, Integrated Environment Policy and Planning Sector, Environment Agency Abu Dhabi
- Dr. Rabi Mohtar, Professor, Agricultural and Biological Engineering, Purdue University Executive Director, Qatar Environment and Energy Research Institute
- Dr. Rachel McDonnell, Water Policy and Governance, International Centre for Biosaline Agriculture
- Edwin Young, Programme Manager Estidama, Urban Planning Council Abu Dhabi
- Fady Juez, President, Metito
- Fahad Al-Attiya, Chairman, The National Food Security Program Qatar
- Faraj Al-Awar, Programme Director, GWOPA
- Gary Amy, Director - Water Desalination and Reuse Center, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST)
- Ghassan Ejjeh, Senior Vice President, Besix
- Harry Seah, CTO, Public Utilities Board Singapore
- Heather Cooley, Programme Co- Director, Pacific Institute
- Jesus Sancho, Director Middle East, Acciona Agua
- Joan Clos, Executive Director, UN Habitat
- Joppe Cramwinckel, Water Director, World Business Council on Sustainable Development
- Karl Rose, Director Policy & Scenarios, World Energy Council
- Khaldoun Kashman, Secretary General, Arab Countries Water Utilities Association
- Lee McIntire, CEO, CH2MHILL
- Leon Awerbuch, President, LET
- Linda Macpherson, Vice President, CH2M HILL
- Majid Hasan Al Suwaidi, Lead Climate Change Negotiator, Directorate of Energy & Climate Change, Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Malcolm Haddock, Planning and Forecasting Department Manager, ADSSC
- Mark Lane, Partner, Pinsent Masons
- Matthew Griffiths, Director Water Strategy & Reuse, RSB
- Men Leong Chew, CEO, Public Utilities Board Singapore
- Michel Canet, Executive Vice President, Veolia Water
- Miguel Angel Sanz, Director of Innovation Development, Degremont SA
- Mike Kuchenbrod, President Water Solutions, Xylem
- Mohamed Ait Kadi, Chairman, Global Water Partnership, Technical Committee
- Mohammad Al Hajjiri, Head of Water Forecast Section, ADWEC
- Mohammed Eid Obaid, Water O&M Division Manager, Al Ain Distribution Company
- Mohammed El Ramahi, Head of Utilities & Asset Management, Masdar
- Mohamoud Abu-Zeid, President, Arab Countries Water Utilities Association
- Nancy E Barnes, VP Water Business Group, CH2MHILL
- Per Bertilsson, Acting Executive Director, Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI)
- Peter Forssman, Chairman, Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI)
- Peter Gleick, President, Pacific Institute
- Prof. Peter Werner, Dean, UAE University
- Robert Bradley, Senior Policy Advisor, Ministry of Foreign Affairs UAE
- Sam Ong, Group Deputy CEO, Hyflux
- Thomas Altmann, Executive Vice President, ILF
- Thorsteinn Gudnason, Managing Director, Aquaomnis
- Tom Soo, Executive Director, IWRA
- Tony Douglas, CEO, Abu Dhabi Ports Company
- Uschi Eid, Vice Chair, UN Secretary Generals Advisory Board on Water
- Walid Saleh, Regional Coordinator, MENA The United Nations University - Institute for Water, Environment, & Heath (UNU-INWEH)
- Yasar Yakis, Former Minister of Foreign Affairs of Turkey
- Dr. Kadri Ozen, Group Public Affairs Director, Coca-Cola Eurasia and Africa Group
- Bogachan Benli, Global Director, UNEP
- Dave Hillyard, Head of Major Partnerships, WaterAid
- Bert Diphoorn, Senior Advisor, Urban Basic Services, UN-Habitat
- Michel Jarraud, Chair, UN
About International Water Summit 2013
On January 18, 2012, His Highness General Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces, launched the International Water Summit as part of a far reaching sustainability vision aimed at ensuring the prosperity and welfare of mankind - not only in the United Arab Emirates, but across the world. His statement, "water is more important than oil for the UAE" was a bold and clear signal that an economy based on oil is placing water at the top of its agenda.
The inaugural International Water Summit will be hosted by Masdar and co-located with the World Future Energy Summit at the Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre (ADNEC), United Arab Emirates. The first International Water Summit will gather the leading minds from the global water community in policy, business and science to accelerate the development of sustainable water solutions for arid regions. This high-level platform offers you a unique opportunity to network with global politicians, water experts and leaders from the public and private sectors over three possibility-laden days. For more information, please visit http://iwsabudhabi.com.
Source: International Water Summit 2013
Shereen Al Sallak International Water Summit T: +971 2 491 7615 F: +971 2 491 7612 E: email@example.com W: www.internationalwatersummit.com
Copyright 2012 ACN Newswire. All rights reserved.
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks
- MAX 2006: Tracks Announced
- BT's "Fixed-Mobile" Phone Gives Callers the Best of Both Worlds
- MetaSolv to Host Provisioning Symposium in London