|By PR Newswire||
|November 27, 2012 04:00 AM EST||
CINCINNATI, Nov. 27, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- When pipes freeze, water pressure builds causing cracks, whether the pipe is made of plastic, copper or steel. Even a tiny crack can unleash 250 gallons of water in a single day. Cracked pipes are one thing but, the real problem comes when the pipes begin to unfreeze. If you're planning on traveling for the holiday season, take the proper steps to ensure your home's plumbing system will survive the cold and your house is protected from disaster.
To view the multimedia content associated with this press release, please click: http://www.multivu.com/players/English/58314-roto-rooter-fall-plumbing-tips/
- Make sure your furnace is set no lower than 55 degrees while you're away and throughout the winter to prevent pipes from freezing.
- Turn up the water heater slightly to retain hot water. Do not exceed 125°F.
- Insulate pipes in unheated areas. Apply heat tape or thermostat-controlled heat cables around exposed pipes.
- You can shut off the washing machine water valve supply to save on your bill.
- There are several places you can check for leaks that will save water and in some cases prevent potential messes while away including a running toilet and appliance hoses.
- Install a flood detection device that works like a smoke detector setting off an alarm to warn your house-sitter of a potential flood or leak caused by bursting pipes.
If you have a house sitter, leave them instructions for turning off the main water supply to your home, should a problem arise.
Roto-Rooter has additional seasonal plumbing tips available on-line at www.rotorooter.com. Or you can like us at Facebook.com/RotoRooter.
Roto-Rooter, a wholly owned subsidiary of Chemed Corporation, was established in 1935 and is the largest provider of plumbing and drain cleaning services in North America. Roto-Rooter operates businesses in more than 116 company-owned territories and more than 500 independent franchise territories, serving 91 percent of the U.S. population and 44 percent of Canada.
The Eisen Agency
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks