|By PR Newswire||
|November 26, 2012 06:57 PM EST||
- 5.8 million watch on TSN and RDS, up 28% compared to last year -
- More than one in three Canadians watch some part of the broadcast -
To tweet this release: http://bit.ly/QHg48w
TORONTO, Nov. 26, 2012 /CNW/ - The 100th GREY CUP scored big on - and off - the field last night, as the country united to watch one of the biggest sporting events in Canadian history on TSN and RDS.
Preliminary overnight data from BBM Canada confirms that the 100th GREY CUP delivered an average audience of 5.5 million viewers on TSN, making it the most-watched CFL championship game ever recorded on English-language television.*
Meanwhile, an average audience of 5.8 million watched the 100th GREY CUP on TSN and RDS, marking a 28% increase in viewers compared to last year and earning an incredible national 16.1 rating. Audiences jumped even higher for younger viewers, with a 38% increase among Adults18-34.
Overall, more than 13 million Canadians - or more than one in three Canadians - tuned in to watch some or all of last night's broadcast on TSN and RDS.
In the Toronto Extended Market, more than 3.6 million viewers watched some of the 100th GREY CUP on TSN - close to half the population in this market.
"It's clear that Canadians embraced the GREY CUP like never before, making the 100th edition of the game an undeniable success not only for TSN and RDS, but also for the CFL and all Bell Media platforms that thoroughly supported the game this week," said Stewart Johnston, President of TSN. "Yesterday's 100th GREY CUP was an important milestone in Canadian history and we are all tremendously proud that we were able to share this game with fans across the country."
"Tradition dictates that only the Grey Cup Champion Toronto Argonauts can hoist our iconic trophy above their heads, but so many Canadians wrapped their arms around the Grey Cup and lifted our league up in this historic year," said Mark Cohon, Commissioner of the Canadian Football League. "Today's television ratings are a testament to that fact, the strength of our league, and the love Canadians have for the Grey Cup."
- Audience levels for the 100th GREY CUP peaked at 7 million viewers
- The Sirius XM Grey Cup Half-Time Show delivered a 44% increase in viewers compared to last year's halftime show, with an average audience of 6.1 million viewers tuning in for performances by Justin Bieber, Carly Rae Jepsen, Marianas Trench, and Gordon Lightfoot
- Audiences also spiked across all demos during the Sirius XM Grey Cup Half-Time Show
- The Toronto Extended Market recorded a 21.9 rating for the game, while the Calgary Extended Market recorded a 36.8 rating
- TSN's critically-acclaimed documentary series, ENGRAVED ON A NATION, was watched by 8.1 million unique Canadian viewers since its debut
- TSN.ca recorded more than 38 million page views during Grey Cup Week (Nov. 19-26) with more than 7.5 million page views - and 1 million unique visitors - on Grey Cup Sunday alone
- TSN.ca's new Field Access hub recorded 102,000 live streams for its companion viewing offerings on Grey Cup Sunday: live coverage of the pre-game warm-ups and an alternate angle of the game
- TSN.ca's exclusive video content from the 100th GREY CUP garnered 475,000 video plays during Grey Cup Week
- A total of 91,000 unique fans took part in TSN.ca's live chat on Grey Cup Sunday
- On social media, the 100th GREY CUP dominated the headlines on Facebook and Twitter, with "TSN" and "Brian Williams" among the top trends in Canada yesterday
- The 2012 VANIER CUP on Friday delivered a record-setting average audience of 910,000 viewers on TSN and RDS, making it the most watched CIS game in history
SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS
Visit TSN.ca/Twitter to follow TSN's CFL experts and Insiders
CFL ON TSN: @CFLonTSN, www.Twitter.com/CFLonTSN
CFL: @CFL, www.Twitter.com/CFL
100th Grey Cup: @100thGreyCup, www.Twitter.com/100thGreyCup
Hashtags: #TSN, #100GC
TSN is Canada's Sports Leader and Canada's most-watched specialty network. Delivering more sports coverage in High Definition than any other network in Canada, TSN's comprehensive broadcast schedule features an exciting lineup of sports including NHL, CFL, NFL, NBA, MLS, the IIHF World Junior Championship, Season of Champions Curling, Golf's Majors, F1, NASCAR Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series, Grand Slam Tennis, EURO 2012 and 2016, the Tour de France, NCAA March Madness tournament and Championship Boxing events. TSN properties include TSN2, TSN MOBILE and the industry-leading sports website TSN.ca. Official broadcaster of the London 2012 Olympic Games, TSN is a division of Bell Media, which is owned by BCE Inc. (TSX, NYSE: BCE), Canada's largest communications company.
Sources: BBM Canada and Omniture
*For electronic measurement data that dates back to 1994. Audiences prior to August 31, 2009 are based on BBM Nielsen Media Research Mark II meters.
- TSN -
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks
- MAX 2006: Tracks Announced
- BT's "Fixed-Mobile" Phone Gives Callers the Best of Both Worlds
- MetaSolv to Host Provisioning Symposium in London