|By PR Newswire||
|November 25, 2012 09:00 AM EST||
AMSTERDAM, Nov. 25, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- When a girl participates in sport, she challenges the spine of gender-based violence (GBV) – inequity, patriarchy and rigid gender roles. Beyond the social challenge, she becomes physically stronger and healthier. She develops a greater ownership and understanding of her body. Her success on the sport field translates into her belief in herself off the sport field.
We believe this can all add up to a reduction in a girl's risk of experiencing GBV and ability to cope and find support when and if she is violated. Sport is a powerful strategy to address GBV.
To celebrate the 16 Days of Activism to End Violence Against Women, we are proud to share 11 short video stories of girls and activists around the world who have taught us how it can work. Sample stories include the following:
- Cyclist, Camila Sabogal from the Indigenous Organisation of Colombia discusses sport for trauma healing and social mobilization for women who have experienced GBV in the conflict in Colombia.
- Fatuma Abdulkadir Aman, extraordinary leader of the Horn of Africa Development Initiative, shares how the usually-silent practice of FGM is addressed in the safe space of HODI's girls' football program.
- An estimated 50% of Sierra Leonean girls and women were victims of sexual violence during the war. Ella, a young footballer, shares her views on moving beyond the destruction into a future determined by her aspirations.
For interviews or quotes, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Play is Her Protest is a story project developed by Women Win with help from our partners in the field. Founded in 2007, Women Win is recognized as a leading global organization using sport as a strategy to advance women's rights. We aim to catalyze a global movement of stakeholders invested in using sport's power to address gender based-violence, economic empowerment and sexual and reproductive health and rights. For more information, go to WomenWin.org
SOURCE Women Win
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher