|By Marketwired .||
|November 23, 2012 06:11 PM EST||
SACRAMENTO, CA--(Marketwire - November 23, 2012) - More than 6,000 people were waiting in Sacramento on Monday for free turkeys from the Food Bank to be used in preparing a Thanksgiving meal. The turkeys were donated by philanthropic individuals and companies, with some small groups such as local soccer teams donating a few and some larger businesses donating up to 500. A kit given to each recipient included a turkey and two side dishes to prepare a complete meal for a family.
More than 100 volunteers were on hand to help hand out the food, carry bags to cars, translate for those who needed these services, and perform other tasks. All the turkeys available were distributed, but the Food Bank does offer referrals for those who did not receive a turkey and need food for the holiday.
One recipient noted, "We are living in hard times. Grandparents are raising children. People are losing their jobs, children are moving back in with parents. People are banding together just to survive."
Attorney John Demas notes, "We are indeed living in hard economic times. More and more people are unable to meet their basic financial needs due to job loss, health issues, and other factors. By reaching out to help share what we have, we enable these people to celebrate the holidays and enjoy family and food together despite the tough economic situation.
"The fortitude of the people who are surviving under these conditions is amazing. At Demas Law Group, we are dedicated to helping those who are working to overcome difficulties and lending a helping hand so that everyone can have a happy holiday season. Demas Law Group routinely supports our local charities and organizations that provide help and support to our community. We cannot solve all the world's problems, but by giving back a little of that with which we have been blessed, we build a stronger community and make the world a better place for everyone.
"Whatever celebrations your holidays include, try to include some time for volunteering or helping someone in need. Remember, you do something for someone else and you are guaranteed to have a happy holiday season!" added Demas.
About Demas Law Group: Demas Law Group is a personal injury firm in Sacramento, California, that represents the victims of accidents and helps them recover damages. Demas attorneys are also involved in their communities and work hard to support local philanthropic groups with both monetary donations and their volunteer time and effort. Demas Law Group supports several local charities including Mothers Against Drunk Drivers.
Attributes: The Modesto Bee, "6,000 wait in 10-block line for Sacramento Food Bank free turkeys," Anne Gonzales, November 19, 2012.
Middle East North Africa Financial Network, "Sacramento Food Bank serves 6,000 people with turkey giveaway," November 20, 2012.
Embedded Video Available: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOlFjBWPTPI&feature=share&list=UUrzx1G8zDqhjVMbRINlUVQw
Demas Law Group
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks
- MAX 2006: Tracks Announced
- BT's "Fixed-Mobile" Phone Gives Callers the Best of Both Worlds
- MetaSolv to Host Provisioning Symposium in London