|By Marketwired .||
|November 23, 2012 09:36 AM EST||
OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 11/23/12 -- Candice Bergen, Parliamentary Secretary to the Honourable Vic Toews, Minister of Public Safety, today spoke at an equipment demonstration by the National CBRNE Response Team at the Annual Federal/Provincial/Territorial (FPT) Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear, and Explosives (CBRNE) Workshop.
The CBRNE workshop meeting was an opportunity to highlight the creation earlier this year of a CBRNE Work Group, a commitment under Canada-U.S. Plans and Capabilities for Emergency Management in the Beyond the Border Action Plan for Perimeter Security and Economic Competitiveness. The CBRNE Work Group has developed a work plan and validation metrics that focuses on bi-national plans for preventing, mitigating, preparing for, responding to, and recovering from potential CBRNE events.
"Serious incidents involving hazardous materials can happen in Canada and the United States," said Parliamentary Secretary Bergen. "Establishing the bi-national CBRNE Work Group demonstrates our commitment to preparedness with a common focus across the Canada-US border so that we can remain resilient in the event of a CBRNE situation."
Parliamentary Secretary Bergen noted important progress by workshop participants on The CBRNE Resilience Strategy for Canada which provides a common direction for CBRNE preparedness across Canada.
"Given the prevalence of CBRNE materials for industrial and scientific use and the evolving nature of potential threats, cooperation and preparedness at all levels is crucial," said Parliamentary Secretary Bergen. "Shared learning opportunities with our provincial and territorial counterparts support our collaboration with the U.S. It is in our national interest to ensure our shared border with the U.S. is as open, efficient and secure as possible."
For more information on the Beyond the Border Action Plan, please visit http://actionplan.gc.ca/en/page/bbg-tpf/border-action-plan.
Follow Public Safety Canada (@Safety_Canada) on Twitter.
Director of Communications
Office of the Minister of Public Safety
Public Safety Canada
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher