|By Marketwired .||
|November 22, 2012 04:27 PM EST||
MONTREAL, QUEBEC -- (Marketwire) -- 11/22/12 -- The Honourable Rob Nicholson, P.C., Q.C., M.P. for Niagara Falls, Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada, accompanied by Senator Pierre-Hugues Boisvenu, today announced the Government's intention to introduce legislation to address concerns about high-risk accused persons found Not Criminally Responsible on account of mental disorder who may pose a threat to the safety of the public if released into communities, and victims' requests for greater involvement in this area of the justice system.
"Our Government is listening to victims, as well as the provinces and territories, who are telling us that the safety of the public should be the paramount consideration in the decision-making process involving mentally disordered accused persons," said Minister Nicholson. "We are committed to ensuring that our laws are strong and clear enough to protect Canadians in situations where dangerous accused found Not Criminally Responsible pose a risk to the public."
"Victims deserve to be better informed and be more involved in the process," said Senator Boisvenu. "Our Government is strongly committed to protecting the safety of Canadians and ensuring victims have a greater voice in our justice system."
Access to treatment would not be affected by the proposed reforms.
The Canadian criminal justice system exempts persons from criminal responsibility if, at the time they committed conduct that would constitute a criminal offence, they were suffering from a mental disorder that rendered them incapable of appreciating the nature and quality of their actions, or of knowing that it was wrong. Such a person is neither acquitted nor found guilty. Instead, they are found Not Criminally Responsible on account of mental disorder. They may be discharged in the community, released on conditions, or kept in custody in a mental health institution. Persons found NCR are not incarcerated in prisons.
(Version francaise disponible)
Julie Di Mambro
Office of the Minister of Justice
Department of Justice
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks