|By Marketwired .||
|November 22, 2012 03:09 PM EST||
IQALUIT, NUNAVUT -- (Marketwire) -- 11/22/12 -- The Honourable Leona Aglukkaq, Minister of Health, Minister of the Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency (CanNor), and Minister for the Arctic Council announced today an investment that will strengthen community capacity to develop and market fur products.
"Around the world, there is greater interest in the North, which is creating increased demand for authentic Arctic products from Nunavut," said Minister Aglukkaq. "This investment will increase local participation in the fur industry and broaden markets for Nunavut seal and fur products, benefitting all Nunavummiut."
"The Government of Nunavut has always been a strong advocate and facilitator of made in Nunavut programs, especially those that support local harvesters and crafts-people," said James Arreak, GN Minister of Environment. "We are looking forward to delivering workshops and initiatives aimed at supporting Nunavut's sealing and fur harvesting sectors."
CanNor and the Government of Nunavut supported the development of a marketing strategy for seal and long fur in Nunavut in 2010-11. This new CanNor investment of more than $190,000 over two years, along with contributions from other partners, will focus on promoting the industry and building related capacity in this sector in Nunavut communities. The Government of Nunavut's Department of Environment will lead the implementation of the project through advertising campaigns, participation at industry events and by delivering pelt-handling workshops in Nunavut communities.
Investment in this project is made possible through CanNor's Strategic Investments in Northern Economic Development (SINED) program, which focuses on long-term economic growth, economic diversification and capacity-building across the North.
SINED is one of several economic development programs within CanNor. CanNor delivers on its exclusive northern mandate through funding programs, providing project management services, leveraging the federal role in the North, serving as a champion for northern interests, and undertaking policy and research.
For copies of CanNor news releases, visit: http://www.cannor.gc.ca.
For more information on Canada's Northern Strategy, visit: www.strategiepourlenord.gc.ca/index-eng.asp.
Office of the Honourable Leona Aglukkaq
Minister of the Canadian Northern Economic
Development Agency, Minister of Health
and Minister for the Arctic Council
Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency
Government of Nunavut, Department of Environment
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks
- MAX 2006: Tracks Announced
- BT's "Fixed-Mobile" Phone Gives Callers the Best of Both Worlds
- MetaSolv to Host Provisioning Symposium in London