|By PR Newswire||
|November 22, 2012 12:01 AM EST||
WASHINGTON, Nov. 22, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Following is the daily "Profile America" feature from the U.S. Census Bureau:
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 22: THANKSGIVING DAY
Profile America — Thursday, November 22nd. Today is Thanksgiving Day, one of the most traditional of American holidays, thought to have begun in 1621 in Plymouth, Massachusetts. The holiday became national in scope in 1863, and the fourth Thursday of the month has been the official day since 1941. It's a time that combines solemnity and joy — a time for family gatherings. In many of the nation's 117.5 million households, people will share a special meal, typically turkey with all the traditional trimmings. U.S. farmers raise more than 248 million turkeys annually, worth more than $4 billion. Americans eat an average of over 13 pounds of turkey each year. The men and women of the U.S. Census Bureau wish you and your loved ones a joyful and peaceful Thanksgiving.
Sources: Chase's Calendar of Events 2012, p. 560
U.S. Census Bureau, Facts for Features, CB11-FF.21
Statistical Abstract of the United States 2012, t. 59
Profile America is produced by the Center for New Media and Promotions of the U.S. Census Bureau. These daily features are available as produced segments, ready to air, on a monthly CD or on the Internet at http://www.census.gov (look for "Multimedia Gallery" by the "Newsroom" button).
SOURCE U.S. Census Bureau
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks