|By PR Newswire||
|November 21, 2012 11:35 AM EST||
PARK RIDGE, N.J., Nov. 21, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony's latest Linear Tape-Open tape cartridge, the LTO Ultrium 6 data cartridge has been approved and qualified by the LTO Technology Provider Companies, a consortium of technology companies that includes HP, IBM Corporation and Quantum Corp. The sixth-generation cartridge is designed to support the increasing storage capacity requirements of professional customers, with higher data transfer rates and greater reliability for businesses with critical data storage and archival needs.
The storage capacity of the new LTO Ultrium 6 cartridge is 2.5TB (native) to 6.25TB (compressed), with higher transfer rates of 160 MB/s (native) to 400MB/s (compressed).
The LTO Ultrium 6 cartridge achieves its higher storage capacity by increasing the number of recording tracks (2,176, compared to the previous model's 1,280 tracks).
The new cartridge is manufactured with fine magnetic particles and a higher thermal stability binder. In order to maximize performance, an improved dispersing technology for these particles was introduced.
LTO Ultrium 6 cartridge also incorporates a thin-layer coating technology and a smoother surface coating process. This allows the cartridge to have a low error rate and stable output under various operating conditions.
LTO Ultrium 6 cartridge's stable magnetic servo signal writing technology, high-accuracy cartridge molding technology and swing suppressed reel structure offer the higher reliability required by data backup systems and continue to achieve stable write/read characteristics.
Linear Tape-Open, LTO, the LTO Logo, Ultrium and the Ultrium Logo are registered trademarks of HP Corp., IBM Corp. and Quantum Corp. in the U.S. and other countries.
SOURCE Sony Electronics
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks