|By PR Newswire||
|November 19, 2012 09:02 PM EST||
CENTENNIAL, Colo., Nov. 19, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Cochlear Americas announced today the introduction of the Cochlear Baha BIA400 series, which features a unique abutment surface technology – a hydroxyapatite layer – that enables a tight adherence between the soft tissue and the abutment. This technology is designed to minimize the need for soft tissue removal and simplify the surgical procedure.
Important benefits for patients are that the surgical procedure becomes less invasive and the soft tissue disruption can be minimized. This new technology is designed to provide bone conduction patients with better aesthetic outcomes than with conventional percutaneous abutments. Leaving the soft tissue intact may also result in significantly shorter surgery time, faster healing and increase the likelihood of normal post-operative skin sensation around the implant site.
"As the first bone conduction implant company, we continue to innovate our solutions to better meet the needs of our recipients. We see the introduction of the BIA400 as a natural step in our continuous effort to improve the outcomes for our users," said Anthony Manna, President of Cochlear Bone Anchored Solutions.
The Cochlear Baha BA400 Abutment was recently cleared for use in the United States and Canada by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Health Canada, respectively. The BIA400 series is currently being introduced to these markets through a controlled market release, and is expected to be widely available to clinicians in early 2013.
About Bone Anchored Hearing Solutions
Bone-anchored hearing solutions are a proven medical option for adults and children with conductive hearing loss, mixed hearing loss, and single-sided sensorineural deafness meeting the candidacy criteria. The Baha System sends external sounds to the inner ear through the bone, bypassing the outer and middle ear. Bone anchored hearing solutions are designed to provide audibility and to improve the communication abilities of those who receive little or no benefit from hearing aids.
Cochlear is the world leader in advanced hearing technologies. Since launching the first multichannel cochlear implant system 30 years ago, Cochlear Limited and its U.S. headquarters have brought the miracle of sound to more than 250,000 people with hearing loss across the globe. For more information about Cochlear Americas products, please visit www.cochlearamericas.com.
SOURCE Cochlear Americas
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks
- MAX 2006: Tracks Announced
- BT's "Fixed-Mobile" Phone Gives Callers the Best of Both Worlds
- MetaSolv to Host Provisioning Symposium in London