|By PR Newswire||
|November 19, 2012 01:33 PM EST||
ALEXANDRIA, Va., Nov. 19, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR), a Department of Defense agency, announced that Steve Burd, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Safeway Inc. signed a Statement of Support for the Guard and Reserve at a ceremony at the company's corporate offices in Pleasanton, California and was joined by ESGR National Chairman James Rebholz.
The Statement of Support confirms Safeway joins other employers in pledging:
- We fully recognize, honor and enforce the Uniformed Services Employment and Re-Employment Rights Act (USERRA).
- Our managers and supervisors will have the tools they need to effectively manage those employees who serve in the Guard and Reserve.
- We appreciate the values, leadership and unique skills service members bring to the workforce and will encourage opportunities to hire Guardsmen, Reservists and Veterans.
- We will continually recognize and support our country's service members and their families in peace, in crises and in war.
"We are honored to reaffirm Safeway's support for our employees in the National Guard and Reserve," said Mr. Burd. "No other public service could be more important than providing support to our men and women in uniform."
Guardsmen and Reservists bring integrity, global perspective and proven leadership to the civilian workforce. "Supportive employers are critical to maintaining the strength and readiness of the nation's Guard and Reserve units and allow Guardsmen and Reservists the opportunity to serve our country more effectively and with greater peace of mind," said James Rebholz, ESGR National Chairman. "By signing this Statement of Support, Safeway sends a clear message they stand committed to their military employees."
Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve is a Department of Defense agency established in 1972 to develop and maintain employer support for Guard and Reserve service. ESGR advocates relevant initiatives, recognizes outstanding support, increases awareness of applicable laws, and resolves conflict between service members and employers.
About Safeway www.Safeway.com
Safeway Inc. is a Fortune 100 company and one of the largest food and drug retailers in North America, based on sales. The company operates 1,644 stores in the United States and western Canada and had annual sales of $43.6 billion in 2011. The company's common stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol SWY.
Tom Bullock, ESGR, (571) 372-0709, Tom.Bullock@osd.mil
Brian Dowling, Safeway, (925) 467-3787, Brian.Dowling@Safeway.com
SOURCE Safeway Inc.
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher