|By Marketwired .||
|November 18, 2012 11:00 AM EST||
OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 11/18/12 -- Today, the Honourable Julian Fantino, Minister of International Cooperation, and the Honourable Diane Ablonczy, Minister of State of Foreign Affairs (Americas and Consular Affairs), announced Canada's support to the Organization of American States (OAS) electoral observation mission in Honduras.
"Through the Canadian International Development Agency, Canada is providing support to electoral observation missions in the Americas," said Minister Fantino. "Canada supports the promotion of democracy and the strengthening of democratic institutions in Honduras."
"Our government is committed to partnering with our neighbours to help build a democratic hemisphere," said Minister Ablonczy. "This is a key part of our engagement in the Americas. The Organization of American States is a trusted partner, and will have a great deal of expertise to share as an international election observer."
With Canada's support, the OAS is deploying an election observation mission to Honduras for its presidential primary elections of November 18, in line with its close monitoring of the electoral cycle there in preparation for general elections in November 2013.
There will be four Canadian participants in this mission, including two short-term election observers and two locally accredited diplomats as diplomatic observers. The mission will prepare a detailed report outlining the extent to which the election was carried out in accordance with national and international standards and commitments, and will include recommendations to improve future electoral processes.
Canada's contribution to the mission in Honduras strengthens institutions that safeguard freedom, democracy, human rights and the rule of law while enhancing our relationship with the OAS. Canada's engagement in the Americas seeks to work with partners towards the three goals of increasing economic opportunity, strengthening security and institutions, and fostering lasting relationships.
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher