|By PR Newswire||
|November 17, 2012 01:45 PM EST||
LOS ANGELES, Nov. 17, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, United Way of Greater Los Angeles hosted the 6th Annual HomeWalk to end homelessness, a 5k run and walk commencing in Exposition Park, in downtown Los Angeles. Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant, the event's Honorary Chair for the second year in a row, kicked off the event that featured approximately 10,000 participants. With over 51,000 homeless men and women in Los Angeles County, nearly one-quarter of which are chronically homeless, United Way and its partners are working to drive community awareness and action as part of its year-round campaign to prevent and end homelessness. Over the past five years, HomeWalk has mobilized 28,000 walkers, raised $2.2 million and moved 12,000 people into permanent housing.
"Our communities are suffering, and we know that by mobilizing Angelenos we can continue to raise funds and awareness to create pathways out of poverty, getting the homeless into permanent housing. HomeWalk is in its sixth year, and thousands of Angelenos presented a united front against homelessness – collectively saying that the current situation in Los Angeles County is unacceptable," said Elise Buik, president and CEO of United Way of Greater Los Angeles. "HomeWalk gives them that platform, and it is imperative that our residents communicate to elected officials that they are outraged and want this issue solved."
Homeless statistics in Los Angeles County:
- Over 51,000 homeless people are in Los Angeles County; 9,000 are veterans
- 40% of those homeless are women and children
- Nearly one-quarter of those homeless (24%) are chronically homeless
- 67% are unsheltered, living on the streets or in cars
- Almost one third (32%) of homeless people in Los Angeles have a bachelors degree or higher
- One of the leading reasons for homelessness is the loss of a job; unemployment in the Country is in double digits
- Over half our households spend over 30% of income on rent, so just one crisis can push a family into homelessness
"Kobe Bryant has helped us reach more residents concerned about fighting homelessness, and the Kobe and Vanessa Bryant Family Foundation has done great work with homeless children. We also have great support from the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation, which matched walkers' donations of $100 or more. With the support of celebrities like Kobe, partners like the Hilton Foundation, our public officials and Los Angeles County residents, we can make a difference," continued Buik.
Today's event commenced in downtown Los Angeles' Exposition Park with elected officials and thousands of participants beginning the Walk at Figueroa street. The 5k route led participants through an educational journey displaying sobering scenes that illustrate homelessness and the long journey to permanent housing.
The epidemic of homelessness in Los Angeles County is one of United Way's core priorities in its efforts to create pathways out of poverty. HomeWalk is part of United Way's pledge to raise the public awareness and fund solutions to end homelessness. For more information please go to www.homewalkla.org.
About United Way of Greater Los Angeles
United Way of Greater Los Angeles is committed to creating pathways out of poverty so that everyone who lives in our communities can have a better quality of life. We are focused on providing long-term solutions in the 3 interconnected areas, which are the root causes of poverty.
- Providing Affordable Housing and Healthcare Ending homelessness
- Helping students graduate from high school prepared for college and the workplace
- Offering job training and financial education
SOURCE United Way of Greater Los Angeles
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks